Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First hand painted texture

I am working on my first hand painted texture for an Art Test for my Senior Project class. The test is to model and texture a tree in the WOW style. Please feel free to critique!

Mesh
IgiH5FY.jpg

512x512 Texture WIP
yLGmqUK.jpg

Mesh with texture applied
Sx5sSLN.jpg

Replies

• riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 11
    this should be helpful

611x945_5124_WoW_crying_tree_2d_fan_art_druid_wow_world_of_warcraft_fantasy_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    riceart: Love that concept!

samuriaidragon: Nice work so far. Check the uvs on the two limbs where they are rotated 90. Its really obvious the texture should be flowing the other way.

Also, focus on large forms and stuff for the texture. As riceart showed in that concept you can do some really cool things by stylizing the bark and painting interesting lighting. Above all, avoid noise. I see you tried to get a lot of detail in there but its turning into noise. If you were trying to paint realistic its not bad, but if your going for wow style or anything cartoony for that matter you need to really avoid all that small stuff.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    I agree with Brad and Rice, the UV's need some work and the WOW style involves bigger shapes and more lighting information. I do like the texture wip and the organic flow of the tree, though I think you should break up the roots a bit.
  • Samuraidragon13
    Thank you guys for the feedback and thank you riceart for the concept piece. Yeah I just have the UV's unfolded right now, I need to re-position them. @BradMyers82 I see what you mean with all the noise. I was using a bark photo as a back plate to help with the texture. I've never played WOW but from the concept art and some other textures I've looked at, I really need to make things more exaggerated. I'm current trying to make a new one but it difficult without the back plate. If anyone has any good tutorials for WOW style please let me know.
  • Samuraidragon13