Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Design a level for arena-base game, need help

Good Evening!

Im in a project with friends and as the 3d artist my task is to do a level for our game (arena-base game) but im unsure that this will work in the end. I think that im working with to big measurement but i may be incorrect and that why i asking for some guidance!

Questions
- Should i do the arena and things in it smaller? Feel like cables are really big and i dont know if thats make its seems off. You can see in the concept how big the player is vs the level (Which will get smaller during gameplay) the 30 meter platform is the last stage but the game start with the hole 90 meters.
- As this is my first game, im wonder how big polycount should a level have? I have no idea.
- Another criticism (and tips on the modeling) is welcomed!

Concept;

81fRex0.jpg

View for the player(with plaseholder texture);

uQYfhYJ.jpg

The 3D Model right now, only modeling on the left side;
3LZjc59.png

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hi there, its really is hard to make good arenas :(

have you tested it out in the engine?
    mostly what people do wrong is make the arena to big, and everything in it it small.
    my tip to you is to make placeholder assets for everything and playtest it like crazy before you commit into any final art.

:)
  • jesterhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    Hi there, its really is hard to make good arenas :(

have you tested it out in the engine?
    mostly what people do wrong is make the arena to big, and everything in it it small.
    my tip to you is to make placeholder assets for everything and playtest it like crazy before you commit into any final art.

:)

Yeah thats why i going with a really simple layout, because we doing this on our spare time so the production is kinda slow sometimes. But a really good advice! I will talk with the team and see if the game is playable for gametesting! :) (forgot to say, we doing the game in Unity, if that has no matter)