Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP_Warehouse_UDK [ONE TEXTURE ENV]

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
oscar3dart polycounter lvl 6
Hi Polycounters, Its been a while.

So this is my take for a ONE TEXTURE environment using UDK. The floors have a separate texture, but all the structures and some props share the same texture.

The scene looks a bit empty, I am working on some props to add, like a big container that will be placed in the middle of the scene. Also couple things that I'm going to change regarding the floor. Lighting still needs work and still need to do some post-processing effects. But so far I think its getting there.

What do you all think so far?

[IMG][/img]6urx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

y9vz.jpg

9p76.jpg

Replies

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking good for such a modular approach. The lighting hurts it and the UDK sky. The colors are very strong

If you say one texture only, you should show it, and maybe write the resolution
    Rage also only used one texture for an environment, but that was a 32000x32000 or something like that, so by definition this means nothing if you dont explain it ; )
  • dropkick287
    Offline / Send Message
    dropkick287 polycounter lvl 10
    Can we see the texture sheet? Whats the res on it? And why didn't you put the floor texture on the same sheet as everything else? I can be wrong but couldn't you put the floor texture on the same sheet and just raised up the resolution? I don't think you have to worry about having to much res considering there is only one draw call for the entire environment. Or am I missing something? Anyway, this is great. I love when artists do crazy things like this.
  • dropkick287
    Offline / Send Message
    dropkick287 polycounter lvl 10
    Shrike wrote: »
    Looking good for such a modular approach

If you say one texture only, you should show it, and maybe write the resolution
    Rage also only used one texture for an environment, but that was a 32000x32000 or something like that, so by definition this means nothing if you dont explain it ; )

Very much agree with Shrike. Lets get some details.
  • oscar3dart
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about that, here is my texture sheet and the resolution is 1024 x 2048, I will probably scale it down in UDK but so far it's at that resolution.

@Shrike: The lighting and the sky is not final, is just the default one from UDK.

[IMG][/img]h54m.jpg

• oscar3dart
    Offline / Send Message
    @dropkick287 : I did not include the floor texture with the one texture simply because I wanted to have something different and make a different shader for that which it was another exercise. I felt that with the one sheet texture it was enough to make the entire structure of the environment.
  • oscar3dart
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update: Created a container, added variation to the floor and tweaked the sky and lighting. ct4l.jpg
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN polycounter
    Very nice mate, good job.
  • oscar3dart
    Offline / Send Message
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    oscar3dart wrote: »
    Sorry about that, here is my texture sheet and the resolution is 1024 x 2048, I will probably scale it down in UDK but so far it's at that resolution.

@Shrike: The lighting and the sky is not final, is just the default one from UDK.

[IMG][/img]h54m.jpg

Judging by eye I think your texture is a little too dark to get ideal lighting in UDK.

Getting the best quality with Lightmass
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I don't think the 1 texture approach is the best for this case. That stuff works better for trimsets and clean assets that rely more on normal map information than on diffuse. In this case your 1 texture is just a few cropped photo textures pasted together in the same sheet, there's no point in doing that for a whole environment, since you can't reuse the individual parts in interesting ways. What I mean is, a brick wall is always a brick wall, while some clever metal plate designs could be anything really.
  • oscar3dart
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos wrote: »
    I don't think the 1 texture approach is the best for this case. That stuff works better for trimsets and clean assets that rely more on normal map information than on diffuse. In this case your 1 texture is just a few cropped photo textures pasted together in the same sheet, there's no point in doing that for a whole environment, since you can't reuse the individual parts in interesting ways. What I mean is, a brick wall is always a brick wall, while some clever metal plate designs could be anything really.

That's why I thought it was a good approach to do a warehouse with a single sheet, since the main things are bricks, concrete and metals while pushing the shader as much as I can to add variation to the scene
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah but you are not gaining anything from using a 1 texture sheet in this case, other than some performance... The art limitation in a scene like this is not worth that small performance gain imo, specially because this is just a portfolio piece (right?). What you could do is to have only trims in your main sheet, but highly tiling textures like brick walls and metal sheets could use separate textures. You could definitely push those textures further that way.

I also think this scene lacks the polish and material variation from your other scenes. Some ideas to spice it up:
    * The scene looks way too noisy overall
    * The scale is waay off: brick tiles look huge, garage door looks stretched and short (how did they fit the containers in there if they are almost as tall as the door :P), the oil drum is about half as high as the door etc... Scale is all about the relationship between elements
    * Brick walls don't work as floor
    * The scene lacks small scale props, such as small pipes, lamps, cables etc...
    * The lighting is not helping either. The sun light is too saturated considering the sun's height (you only get that much saturation when the sun is almost on the horizon) and the purple fog doesn't make much sense and is way too strong. Because the textures are too contrasty and dark, you also lose most of the depth from lightmass' GI.

You have a lot of really great stuff in your portfolio, but this scene honestly doesn't look on par with the other pieces. I hope that helps man :)