Home Full time/Part time work

Arena Net character artist

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AaronCoberly polycounter lvl 4
Character Artist

Description

We are looking for a character artist that shares our passion for creating worlds and the characters and creatures that fill it. This person will have a talent for creating the high res sculpt as well as the final, low res in-game model. They will join in brainstorming sessions applying their skills and vision to the heroes and horrors of Tyria. They will be self-motivated, collaborative and dedicated to the creative process.

With multiple gaming awards such as: 2012 Time Magazine’s #1 Game of the year, Gamespot’s PC game of the year and countless other awards to their name, this multi-award winning business employs about 300 people and is taking the MMO gaming world by storm. With 3 Million players and growing since launch, this is a fantastic opportunity to take the art team to the next level by growing Guild Wars 2 worldwide success.

Responsibilities

Create high-resolution character models in Zbrush or Mudbox
Create low-resolution game models including uv’s, and textures using Maya and Photoshop
Collaborate with designers, animators, concept artists and other teams to bring a shared vision to life

Qualifications

Proactive collaborator and problem solver
Attention to artistic and technical detail
Experience modeling game-ready characters
Skilled in Zbrush or Mudbox and Max or Maya and Photoshop
A good understanding of anatomy
Ability to take direction and offer suggestions on technique and best practices
Traditional and digital art skills
Able to match the Guild Wars art style and quality level
Desirable

Game development experience and a passion for the process
Dedicated gamer and fantasy/sci-fi geek

Character Art Test

Please complete the following test before you apply. Upon completion, please apply and provide a link to your completed test either in your resume, cover letter, or send it to lstumme@arena.net. We do not accept Zip files unless they are hosted on a site as they will usually do not send properly.

This test is required for a complete application to our Concept Art position: if you fail to complete the test, you will not be considered for this position.

From the linked concept: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/3rnq.jpg , create a high resolution mesh using a package such as ZBrush, Mudbox and or Maya. Then convert the high resolution mesh to a 7500 poly low resolution mesh using a 1024 diffuse, specular, and normal map (3 maps total). Your test should demonstrate an understanding of modeling in high and low resolution, diversity in the appearance of texture using a single material.

7500 triangles for the entire model (don’t worry about double-sided)
Diffuse map, normal map, specular map (grayscale), alpha map (1-bit) – each 1024 x 1024
Optional: Reflection map mask to adjust environment reflections
Although this is primarily a test on armor, we expect the body to be made as well. The face/head is not important and can be somewhat obscured as long as what IS visible does not seem awkward. Please remove unnecessary geometry (e.g., we only need the skin mesh where it’s actually visible).
Some criteria we’d like to see met:
Very clean and effective normal map that shows a command for creating both organic shapes and hard edged armor
Texture materials clearly defined (leather looks like leather, metal looks like metal, etc.)
Artistic sense of proportion and contrast to bring out the best qualities of the armor set
Effective combination of alpha transparency and modeling out shapes to communicate complex forms within the polygon budget.
The diffuse map should be made agnostic of specific lighting conditions, but artistic judgment in occluded shadows and general lighting to enhance the model’s presence is appreciated.

This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work. Please include links to your current portfolio when applying.

Replies

• AaronCoberly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been asked if there is a time frame for this test.

There is no time frame for the test, my goal is to find people who are passionate about working at Arena Net. This process is more of a first come first serve basis where quality is the priority. If I receive 10 tests and they are not what I am looking for then I will continue to evaluate submissions. If I receive a few tests and one of them blows me away then I will make an offer and let everyone know that the position has been filled.

hope this helps

Aaron Coberly
  • darkhalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkhalo polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you for that info Sir, I was actually going to ask that as well.
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    I'm starting the test right now :3 working at arenanet would be a dream come true for me XD
    However, I have a question about the test description, you said in your post :"7500 triangles for the entire model (don’t worry about double-sided)" and "Although this is primarily a test on armor, we expect the body to be made as well. The face/head is not important and can be somewhat obscured as long as what IS visible does not seem awkward. Please remove unnecessary geometry (e.g., we only need the skin mesh where it’s actually visible).".
    Does that mean that for "the entire model" you mean only the armor? or the armor with the body parts without head?
    Thanks in advance!
  • AaronCoberly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This position has been filled. I want to thank everyone for taking the character test for this position, there are a lot of great artists out there.

Aaron Coberly