Home General Discussion

Why some people are better at art than others.

http://www.livescience.com/19878-drawing-ability.html

This is a very interesting article about why some people are better at art than others. It is well worth a read in my own opinion

These are scientific reasons as to why, and how people can get better. :)

Please share your story about how you became good at Art or why your not.

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Comments were more useful.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu wrote: »
    Comments were more useful.

What are you talking about?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comments on the article.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    ...yeah, that article seems to take some of the most basic drawing concepts, point them out, and then say "Some people suck at this, so they're worse at drawing."

For real, from the article:
    People who have the most trouble judging apparent size, shape, color and brightness may also be the worst at drawing, recent research by Justin Ostrofsky and his colleagues at Brooklyn College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York suggests.

You think?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ugh, I hate the "born with talent" idea - I'm not calling myself a master artist but I draw OK. When I'm around non-artistic types I always get the "OH, I wish I could draw like you, you were born talented".

My mom has a scrapbook of every drawing I've done up until my teens, the earliest drawings, around age 4-5 I believe, look just as shitty as my non-artists friends drawings at that age. The big difference is I kept drawing, so stick figures eventually went to sausage figures, then forms became more consistant and things kept improving over the years.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    ...yeah, that article seems to take some of the most basic drawing concepts, point them out, and then say "Some people suck at this, so they're worse at drawing."

For real, from the article:

You think?

At least it points out how some of us who suck at drawing can get better.
    I am interested in reading peoples stories on here about how they got better at drawing.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My own comment.

Some people on here seem like they are great at fine art ect and their 3D models are amazing.

I want to better my drawing and my painting so I can get better at making 3D models.
    That is my motivation for becoming a better artist.

Plus I love creating stuff, I grew up loving legos and model kits.
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all practice. Some of us just started very early and the brain learns best when you are in yer youth than when you're in yer adulthood. I'm african. I learned English and developed an American accent a the age of 9 cause I was so young when I moved to the states. But were I to move to Chile right now and stay there for 10 years, I wouldn't learn a lick of Spanish unless I learned formerly from a book or Rosetta Stone software. The formative years are what give "artistic" folk the advantage ; everything is tougher to learn when yer already grown up!
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timidy wrote: »
    It's all practice. Some of us just started very early and the brain learns best when you are in yer youth than when you're in yer adulthood. I'm african. I learned English and developed an American accent a the age of 9 cause I was so young when I moved to the states. But were I to move to Chile right now and stay there for 10 years, I wouldn't learn a lick of Spanish unless I learned formerly from a book or Rosetta Stone software. The formative years are what give "artistic" folk the advantage ; everything is tougher to learn when yer already grown up!

Thankfully Passion and Enthusiasm can help. I got put off art as a child because i expected instant results and to much of myself.
    Also I didn't have the right type of encouragement or help with my art.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    At least it points out how some of us who suck at drawing can get better.
    I am interested in reading peoples stories on here about how they got better at drawing.

That's cool if you found the article helpful. I just mean I find it weird that teams of scientists have apparently conducted studies to figure out what usually comes up in 5 minutes of Google searching. They talk about developing your eye, remembering information (such as proportions/relationships between objects), and recognizing/isolating important parts of a figure. I mean, really if you boil it down they're basically saying "People who are better at drawing, are generally better at all the things that have to do with drawing. You can practice to get better."

Here's one of the most commonly recommended drawing resources of all time, that covers pretty much every subject in the article - with entire books sometimes dedicated to the subjects.

Andrew Loomis:

http://illustrationage.com/2013/04/02/free-andrew-loomis-art-instruction-downloads/

I can only agree with most of the things said, I just find it funny. And I'd say the title of the article is silly.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    hows environment treat you when you grow up?
    did your friend , teacher and family support your passion?
    can you find art gallery and museum easily ?
    can you find doujin(hobby) community in your place?
    are people able to make money over to kind of art you like in your place?

these things may affect your art style and learning scope. :)
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    That's cool if you found the article helpful. I just mean I find it weird that teams of scientists have apparently conducted studies to figure out what usually comes up in 5 minutes of Google searching. They talk about developing your eye, remembering information (such as proportions/relationships between objects), and recognizing/isolating important parts of a figure. I mean, really if you boil it down they're basically saying "People who are better at drawing, are generally better at all the things that have to do with drawing. You can practice to get better."

Here's one of the most commonly recommended drawing resources of all time, that covers pretty much every subject in the article - with entire books sometimes dedicated to the subjects.

Andrew Loomis:

http://illustrationage.com/2013/04/02/free-andrew-loomis-art-instruction-downloads/

I can only agree with most of the things said, I just find it funny. And I'd say the title of the article is silly.

Thanks for the Link, I hope some more people also share their resources on here.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    ugh, I hate the "born with talent" idea.

what ?

while i believe that with lot of hard work you can achieve anything, but there is such a thing called genetics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2688647/

but without no hard work, it can go either way. someone born with talent but no proper environment or nurture will most likely never reach high enough. like wise, someone born with lower aptitude can overcome with lot of hard work.
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that same vein then you have to consider that on the other hand some people are born with a natural talent for numbers and logic and that tends to be the programmer bunch who excel at that aspect.

Question is : can one be highly talented at both art and logic? I believe there's already a long thread on this matter somewhere here.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Some people are quick to use "born with talent" as an excuse to not learn, to not get better. They look at people who are "talented" with a "boy are you lucky" attitude.

This is both frustrating and quite a shame, because even people with some natural talent have usually worked their asses off to become professionals in their field. It's also really sad to see people deny themselves of achieving their dream because they honestly believe it isn't possible. We want to grab them, shake them and tell them NO SERIOUSLY DUDE YOU CAN ACTUALLY ACHIEVE THIS.

Natural talent does exist - but usually comes in the form of a personality trait; A high degree of patience, or a good memory - something that, when combined with their passion, allowed them to perhaps achieve success with a little less pain then others. But it still took hard work and practice...it always does.

And of course there's nothing worse then someone else assuming you are good because you are "talented", and totally not giving you credit for the hard work you've put in.

So yes, there's some science there - but too many people are quick to use it as an excuse, to limit themselves needlessly, or to look past the work others have put in.

This is of course true for many, many things in life - not just game art.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I believe in this 100%

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhxcFGuKOys"]Why You Need to Fail - by Derek Sivers - YouTube[/ame]
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that same vein then you have to consider that on the other hand some people are born with a natural talent for numbers and logic and that tends to be the programmer bunch who excel at that aspect.

Question is : can one be highly talented at both art and logic? I believe there's already a long thread on this matter somewhere here.

Any chance you could find it?
    cman2k wrote: »
    Some people are quick to use "born with talent" as an excuse to not learn, to not get better. They look at people who are "talented" with a "boy are you lucky" attitude.

This is both frustrating and quite a shame, because even people with some natural talent have usually worked their asses off to become professionals in their field. It's also really sad to see people deny themselves of achieving their dream because they honestly believe it isn't possible. We want to grab them, shake them and tell them NO SERIOUSLY DUDE YOU CAN ACTUALLY ACHIEVE THIS.

Natural talent does exist - but usually comes in the form of a personality trait; A high degree of patience, or a good memory - something that, when combined with their passion, allowed them to perhaps achieve success with a little less pain then others. But it still took hard work and practice...it always does.

And of course there's nothing worse then someone else assuming you are good because you are "talented", and totally not giving you credit for the hard work you've put in.

So yes, there's some science there - but too many people are quick to use it as an excuse, to limit themselves needlessly, or to look past the work others have put in.

This is of course true for many, many things in life - not just game art.

I completely agree with you.
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Any chance you could find it?

Yes, here's the discussion. some really good input and opinions in there :

Game Art vs Game Programming
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

I agree with you 100%, that was a great video and I own one of the books he recommended, "Robert Coyle, the talent code."

Another great author he did not include would be Brain Tracey.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, here's the discussion. some really good input and opinions in there :

Game Art vs Game Programming

Thank you, I really appreciate you finding that for me. It should be an interesting read.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Funny to see this thread here, as I just baked an interesting book project on kickstarter talking about something related to this topic.

20 dollars VERY WELL spent, IMO.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stephenmccranie/brick-by-brick
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny to see this thread here, as I just baked an interesting book project on kickstarter talking about something related to this topic.

20 dollars VERY WELL spent, IMO.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stephenmccranie/brick-by-brick

Thank you for letting us know about this, I appreciate it.
    Now I need to find the money to back it, along with a book called masters of anatomy.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    what ?

while i believe that with lot of hard work you can achieve anything, but there is such a thing called genetics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2688647/

but without no hard work, it can go either way. someone born with talent but no proper environment or nurture will most likely never reach high enough. like wise, someone born with lower aptitude can overcome with lot of hard work.

Genes don't contain information about color,perspective and composition.If they did contain that kind of information people would be born with USB plugs in their heads.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    Genes don't contain information about color,perspective and composition.If they did contain that kind of information people would be born with USB plugs in their heads.

LOL. way to dumb down science. genetics for the majority determines one's cognitive ability and cognition ability is directly linked to any activity like art, math, language etc.

fact is different people are born with different genetic make up. just research dopamine receptors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_receptor

in plain english, different people are born with different brains. cognitive ability is not same for everybody when they are born, heredity has a lot to do with it.

http://www.education.com/reference/article/effects-heredity-environment-intelligence/

however, i believe that success in anything requires both nature and nurture. so keep working hard.

as i said before, it is both nature and nurture. if you lack in one then you push the other.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone can get better at basketball with practice, but not everyone will end up good enough to play in the NBA.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Everyone can study math and physics, but not everyone can become Einstein.

Of course this is true. Something made these people special. But I think it's actually still an open question in science of what that something is.

Did Einstein have an unusually receptive brain and mass of neural networks that let him become smart, or did he grow those traits because he worked so hard and thought about it so much?

Does an NBA player have some natural agility that is innate and genetic, or have they developed that agility because of their personality traits of relentlessness and high achievement?

I think these are still highly debatable questions in regards to the actual science...you'll find lots of articles arguing both sides as fact. :P
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL. way to dumb down science. genetics for the majority determines one's cognitive ability and cognition ability is directly linked to any activity like art, math, language etc.

fact is different people are born with different genetic make up. just research dopamine receptors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_receptor

in plain english, different people are born with different brains. cognitive ability is not same for everybody when they are born, heredity has a lot to do with it.

http://www.education.com/reference/article/effects-heredity-environment-intelligence/

however, i believe that success in anything requires both nature and nurture. so keep working hard.

as i said before, it is both nature and nurture. if you lack in one then you push the other.

Yeah,but genes don't "understand" what is art or math.They can only develop specific part of the brain that has the job of lets say thinking or calculating.So that persons maybe has easier time calculating but he is not in any way superior to any other human being simply because everything has to be learned.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am starting to think art is about problem solving and nothing else. ie finding the right way to make something look good is like solving an advanced crossword puzzle
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah,but genes don't "understand" what is art or math.They can only develop specific part of the brain that has the job of lets say thinking or calculating.So that persons maybe has easier time calculating but he is not in any way superior to any other human being simply because everything has to be learned.

yes, and a brain that calculates faster learns faster and thereby having an advantage over other human beings. it definitely makes that person superior to other human beings.

i personally have seen people learn things quite faster than me, something that I had to spend endless nights working hard they learned it right away. so you can argue all you want, but it is what it is.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain that calculates faster doesn't learn faster,human brain cant understand something that it doesn't know.Peoples that are better at some subjects generally have background on that subject or on similar things.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    Brain that calculates faster doesn't learn faster

what ? tell me that you are just trolling the forums!

before you say any more, please do some research on learning disabilities and its connection to hereditary factors.

i believe every single human being is born unique, each with different abilities and disabilities to a certain degree.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what ? tell me that you are just trolling the forums!

before you say any more, please do some research on learning disabilities and its connection to hereditary factors.

i believe every single human being is born unique, each with different abilities and disabilities to a certain degree.

Where did I say that every human is the same?I'm just telling you that genes don't make you any smarter if you cant put them to the use.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    Where did I say that every human is the same?I'm just telling you that genes don't make you any smarter if you cant put them to the use.

yes, but i already said it has to be both nature and nurture. if there is no NURTURE there it does not matter what you are born with, it will be wasted.

genetics directly influence your neurons and that directly influences learning, cognitive behavior, problem solving, etc.

if a person with very well functioning brain never gets the proper environment to apply then it would not matter either way, like i said it has to be both nature and nurture.

however if you take two humans, one with a learning disability and one without a diagnosed disability then the person with disability will have a harder time in the same environment.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    So much bla bla when it all comes down to one single word: Practice.

:P
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    So much bla bla when it all comes down to one single word: Practice.

:P

Yep practice makes perfect. ^_^

Which is a good way to become more efficient and effective at practice so we can get the most from it?
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Practice, definitely. No matter what activity I can think of, every person that I have ever met who's skill has surpassed mine, the reason has always been obvious. Practice.

Sure there might be some advantage due to winning the genetic lottery, but I would bet that practice is easily of much greater importance.
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    Everyone can get better at basketball with practice, but not everyone will end up good enough to play in the NBA.

A very hard truth, but a truth no less. And one cannot always tell if his efforts are a waste, until he's failed enough to quit ; Very harsh, but a reality with a very wide application to many things in life, for many people.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes its just a lack of the right teachers and the right things happening at the right time for some people and just sheer bad luck if you believe in luck. It is also a matter of the persons confidence, enthusiasm and will power. and how determined they are to keep going.

I stubbornly refuse to believe in the fact that the word impossible exists and that anything is impossible. because what may seem impossible could be possible some day in some shape, way or form.

Also as someone said once "don't tell me the odds" (sorry if all i just said sounded stupid but its my belief) it keeps me motivated.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    I am starting to think art is about problem solving and nothing else. ie finding the right way to make something look good is like solving an advanced crossword puzzle

I completely agree with you and I enjoy that. :D
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the link to Brick by Brick, Renaud! Just backed the project. I saw a web comic from that book yesterday that, at the time, I didn't even realize was from a Kickstarter project:

http://doodlealley.com/2012/11/07/hug-the-elephant/

Honestly, the Masters of Anatomy book doesn't excite me too much. From what I've seen, it seems a little all over the place in terms of style. I'm dubious as to how much I would actually get out of a book like that.

I did, however, back the Anatomy For Sculptors project and I'm super excited for that.

that sculptors anatomy book looks awesome, I was dubious about that first kickstarter project myself, but this one I can get behind.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that sculptors anatomy book looks awesome, I was dubious about that first kickstarter project myself, but this one I can get behind.

I'm starting to find it dubious also, I am going to hold off on backing. I backed brick by brick though.

I think I will pick up anatomy for sculptors instead of Masters of Anatomy.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Ruz wrote: »

I agree with Ruz. I'm not sure this is true across all visual art, but in cg art especially, which is very technical, figuring out smart solutions can make up a huge percentage of your 'skill'.

In terms of the talent vs practice idea, of course some people will pick up different skills quicker or slower than others. But this 'innate' talent pales in comparison to useful experience, which will always be the equaliser.

(side note, I also believe that "useful experience" is very very different from "hard work" or "practice". The latter two are obviously essential in any field. But it is always good to recognize that not all practice is equal. Ever heard someone say: "I learnt more in X weeks doing THIS, than I did in X years doing THAT!!")

If there's any moral from this post it's work hard AND smart!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    It seems to me that practice makes most people very very good but not perfect, to be perfect you have to be in that elite genius group that are most likely naturally talented in some way even if its an innate tenacity for learning. Ive genuinely found that I am just not naturally good at maths/calculus, things that my fellow university students could grasp easily I found incredibly hard to understand and got 15% at the end of the year. So instead of wasting my time trying to become an amazing mathematician I did art - something which I totally grasp and enjoy and have picked up far faster.

Could I have become very good at maths ? I probably could! would it have been worth the years and years of hard work...absolutely not! I think it could be the same for people who arent good at art.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    well, this is not a math, art is creative business, to stand out of crowd you don't have to be the best at pushing pixels or polygons.

Yoji Shinkawa ( concept artist of MGS) once competing with his classmates to be the best at drawing bishoujo ( anime pretty girls ) but then he realize if he keep doing same thing he wont be stand out , thats why he started his unique drawing now. easily became one of stand in game art.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    xvampire wrote: »
    well, this is not a math, art is creative business, to stand out of crowd you don't have to be the best at pushing pixels or polygons.

Yoji Shinkawa ( concept artist of MGS) once competing with his classmates to be the best at drawing bishoujo ( anime pretty girls ) but then he realize if he keep doing same thing he wont be stand out , thats why he started his unique drawing now. easily became one of stand in game art.

Yoji is naturally talented because he chose to not do what everyone else was doing and thats something most people wouldnt think of trying. Anyway my point was that some people will find art just as hard as I found maths, they are in no way similar in subject matter but I had friends who could not figure out how to draw a face no matter how hard they tried but could do high level calculus, see what I mean?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I define the creative process as 50% math (which includes geometry) and 50% emotion.
    Everybody has feelings, but not anybody can express them.
    Handling the math part is even less common.

Some people perceive the world in terms of shapes (x & y), others see forms (x, y & z).
    Some have started developing their craft at a young age and got it going naturally, without ever questioning their perception.
    For most ppl, the one thing that is common is the self-doubt when facing a challenge, and what makes one better than the other is not giving up.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I definitely fall into the camp who would say it's more about practice and passion than any born talent. All of the things that contribute to being a good artist can be practiced and learned. Some people may be genetically predisposed to have better awareness of shapes or colors at birth or something like that, but if anything all that does is give a slight head start. What really makes someone a master is a love for their craft. If you love something, you will spend more time doing it, but not just mindless practice, you will also spend time thinking, innovating, trying new things and improving. I have never heard a single successful artist say that they had always been skilled, no, all of them say it took years of hard work.

Those who loved their craft at a young age and therefore had more time to think and practice it may be at an advantage, but my point is, passion is the key above all else. As the video posted early in the thread pointed out, failure is important too - and passionate people who think outside the box and try new things are bound to fail a lot and continue to improve, practice alone doesn't really cut it. I've seen plenty of artists who draw for hours every day, simply repeating their mistakes and stagnating because they only do what they already know.

Even with my modest level of skill, I constantly heard comments from classmates in college "You only spent an hour on that and it's so good! It's no fair that this stuff comes so easy to you!" meanwhile I had spent hours a day for years before college practicing and learning while they goofed off. No, it did not come easy.

I find the suggestion that some people are just born to be good artists insulting. If anything, I would say some people may be born with a predisposition to have passion for art and therefore invest more time and energy into it, and therefore become better at it over time.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all.

I think about this every time I start to feel like I suck.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    I thought this was pretty interesting. Made sense and am guilty of doing it myself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rI6q6bv7do"]Episode 59 - Before and After - YouTube[/ame]

It's from FZD, he talks about the two methods of learning, repetition vs. fundamentals. With repetition the learning curve involves you making a mistake, undoing, trying it again, making another mistake, undoing, etc. With the fundamentals you take time in the beginning to solidify your knowledge of the subject so that you skip the repeated mistakes.