Home Dota 2

*Need Help* Using Blender, how do you assign one model to multiple bones?

Hey all!

So I created a pair of axes for beastmaster in Blender. The workshop requirements stipulate that the model should be bound to both bone "Axe Left" and bone "Axe Right" on the model. The only thing I was able to do was create 2 separate identical models and assign them each to a bone, but when I upload the SMD, it only shows one of the axes. I believe blender is exporting 2 SMD files, one for each axe.

Can anyone tell me how to properly assign the model in blender to both bones so that it uploads properly?

I did a forum search and didn't find my answer, but if someone finds the answer through a search I would love a link to the thread where you found it.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The axes are exported as two separate smd files if they're two separate objects. Have you checked the output folder to see how many files are being generated?

Checking the requirements page, beastmaster's axes should both be in one object (when you tab into edit mode, both of the axes should be highlighted). If they're two separate objects, you can use ctrl+j to join them to one.

I believe using the mirror modifier to duplicate the object would automagically handle the bones if they're set up for one side. (It does for crystal maiden's arm slots at least)

Hope this helps? If you still see problems, I can help you out on steam or something?
  • kahnibal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as foxclover said, there are probably two axes. I had the same issue with antimage's weapons.

Best way is to make a duplicate of your axe, reassign it to the other hand and you should be good. Mind the transforms though, or you could have your axe the wrong way round at import
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi All!

Thanks for the responses. So, I see that blender was creating 2 SMD files instead of 1. I now have the 2 axes merged as a single model, but am having trouble assigning each axe to its respective bone. I can assign the whole model so a bone, but then only one axe is correctly displayed. I have seperated the 2 axes into vertex groups, but cant figure out how to get the 2 groups assigned to different bones.

I tried the mirror modifier, but that did not seem to work.

Any ideas?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I use Maya but hopefully you can translate it into Blender tools. You should be selecting each weapon bone(left and right) and then selecting the axe mesh(comprised of both axes) and then skin them. You'll have to paint the weights so the left axe is only skinned to the left bone and vice versa. Thats about it
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm assuming you're assigning the model to bones incorrectly... if you can do it for one side, it's the same process for the other.

This is what I do:

1. In the outline menu, click the object icon and drag it to the skeleton/base model object. (in example, cube to crystal_maiden_model.dmx) When a menu pops up, select "With empty groups"
    3Orpe5L.png

2. In edit mode, select vertices you want to bind. I find it useful to turn off "limit selection to visible".

3. In the properties menu, click on the upside down triangle. (Object data tab). Under Vertex Groups, you will see the names of the bones you can rig your models to. Select one that you want, and hit the assign button. Make sure the weight is 1.

nl6FB96.png

And that's it. The selected vertices are now assigned to that one bone.

I did some testing, and I can get the mirror modifier to work for all of cm's slots - arms, shoulder, and back. To clarify, you have to export the object with the modifier still intact. If you hit "apply", it won't work anymore.
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foxclover, you are a god among men.

This totally worked, and yes I was doing it COMPLETELY wrong.

Thank you SO much!

I will post a screenshot once I get the axes compiled and into Dota.

Yay!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Successfully imported!

Thanks again everyone!

[IMG][/img]Bramble_Axe_ingame_1_zpsd849f4f8.png
  • Vyebrows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vyebrows polycounter lvl 3
    I'm having a similar problem that i just can't seem to solve, the twist is that its a single model joining to 5 separate bones (Tidehunter offhand). I'm assigning weights as foxclover describes and all works fine in blender but in Dota 2 It's completely rigid instead of all floppy.