Home Technical Talk

large or small environment?

Hey guys, so im starting a new environment in udk and im kinda stuck on weather to do a large environment or a smaller one. I really want to showcase how massive it really can be but I dont have a lot of time in my deadline. Quality o over quantity right? Idk if I should focus and make it smaller to really show off some nice assets or make it large to get a bettet wow factor. Any suggestions?

Replies

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Well, if you want to make less work but large area, instances is the key word. You can make very large environments with few assets if you plan well, and make the assets modular but variant as well. Tricks like having large surface area assets, broken up with small assets, such as pillars, pipes, wires, machines ect.
    You want to plan out and maybe block out your environment first, to see what needs to be done, and what you can get away with replacing with the same assets. Then if you want to have something soon to show before you finish your whole environment, you might want to focus on a single area, just like only building a corner of a room first, and then afterwards, build the rest of the room and then the rest of the house.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    It's not the size it's what you do with it.

There's nothing about the size of an environment that makes it impressive. It's what the environment looks like that makes it impressive.
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. My environment is made up of very unique buildings and assests so it would be hard to reuse my modular pieces, ill mosy likley go with keeping it somewhat small but focusing on making everything look amazing!
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've decided to create a smaller environment and focus on good focal points of the level and really polish up the scene would that be the best workaround ?