n2k3 polycounter lvl 4
[updated November 10, 2013 see this post for more]:
PUbS4JU.png

[original post]:
gAonLsX.png

Detail pics:
C5YtNn3.pngRqefjuw.png
XkxU4o5.png

This is a female character (my first) that I've been working on for quite some time now using some quick BPR renders with Pearl Cavity MatCap. I'm aiming for portfolio quality of the low poly (which I'll be re-launching in a couple of days). Right now I'm leaning towards real-time character artist, although other fields like environment arts / level design interest me too. I'm also quite interested in the technical way things work in game engines and some scripting / light programming. One thing is for sure I want to end up in the games industry :)

I've found myself stuck several times during the creation of this character. And that's probably mostly because I didn't know what I wanted (or knew how) to do exactly. I'm not using any concept for this, just lots of random references. Another thing I learned while doing this, was that for something to be believable (and not odd / weird) you need to know about it. How materials work, how skin works, what a head looks like, all the basic stuff. Which when you're starting can get overwhelming very quickly (and still is for me).

Still need to do details on the panty & bra (had something like this in mind: picture) I've tried several methods myself (using alphas, and surface noise) but I didn't get the result I wanted. So any help on how to achieve this would be appreciated.

And I want to have the hair be more curled at the lower half, something like this: picture. I've spend some time yesterday to make a good 'curling brush', still have to apply that. And I need to find a way to make the hair not so neat, I need more variation, single strands, smaller clumps, more frizzy.

The things that I have still planned for this character are: polypaint (oh boy), re-topo, uv and find an interesting pose for her. Then decide on a way to render in-engine.

Would love to get some of your feedback on this :)

Replies

• DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Good work :) The best critiques that I can give are that some of the proportions on the upper arm\shoulder area and the pelvic region are off. From the front and back, her arms look correct, but from the side, they are too thin to match. Also, her pelvis resembles a anatomically male pelvis, rather than a female pelvis. It looks like there is an area that needs a bit of smoothing in front of her ear.

I really like the work that you did on the shoes, that must have been quite a lot of work to get it to look right :P
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    This is really impressive. Looks like she is shrugging her shoulders though. Also, her eyes may be too large/wide? The eyes are really throwing off her face for me.
  • n2k3
    Offline / Send Message
    n2k3 polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you DougClayton4231 and kmactastic for your feedback! I agree with all of them, this is what I'll change later today: narrower eyes, arms thicker, wider pelvis, lower shoulders, flatten the cheekbones from the side. And perhaps I'll succeed today in getting the curly hairstyle :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    she got a moustache.
  • mkZ3R0
    Yep, I do absolutely agree with DougClayton4231 and kmactastic. Wider pelvis and smaller/narrower eyes. When I covered her eyes on my screen she looked completely normal.

In general it'd be nice if you would use another shader for anatomy. Something less shiny and with more natural hue. It's good to see that you cared for imperfactions, like the pants cut into skin fat and how the bra pushes the breasts. Good job for your first model.

Take your time polypainting! One can waste all his modelling effort with lazy or bad texturing skills.
  • n2k3
    Offline / Send Message
    n2k3 polycounter lvl 4
    she got a moustache.
    Hehe, yeh the matcap doesn't work well for this :<
    mkZ3R0 wrote: »
    Yep, I do absolutely agree with DougClayton4231 and kmactastic. Wider pelvis and smaller/narrower eyes. When I covered her eyes on my screen she looked completely normal.

In general it'd be nice if you would use another shader for anatomy. Something less shiny and with more natural hue. It's good to see that you cared for imperfactions, like the pants cut into skin fat and how the bra pushes the breasts. Good job for your first model.

Take your time polypainting! One can waste all his modelling effort with lazy or bad texturing skills.

Thanks your feedback mkZ3R0!

Unfortunately I haven't had much time for sculpting this week, have been busy with the code for my portfolio site. Only changed the model based on the feedback I got. Below is an update regarding said changes. Also applied my base layer of poly paint. Now showing a couple of quick testing renders using VRay. I could've exported the hair over although I'll probably ditch the fiber hair completely as I want to make this for real-time purposes anyway. Just playing with VRay because I haven't done the re-topo & UVs yet :)
    (ignore the black shadows in the ear/mouth as those are render artifacts, and those color splotches on the back of the head, as I use them in ZBrush for quick colors)

PUbS4JU.png
    o6gMiWE.png
    d4dC5lL.png
    i1QpSLN.png
    V5D48Ia.png
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Great update! The thighs need a bit of tweaking from the side in order to match the silhouette from the front and back though.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    actually, the matcap isn't what's causing the moustache look. it's apparent with the new material too. it's because you've given her a step concave shape at the philtrum instead of a mild convex.
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Eyelashes are too thin and they look synthetic. Make them thicker and some should stick together. Checks refs!