Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ironman Helmet

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
megasean polycounter lvl 7
I wanted to do an Ironman Helmet, but instead of Max or Maya I wanted to do it in ZBrush.
h0vyG8S.jpg
This is it so far.

Replies

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I would say its a good start, but...i would say the chin needs to be wider and flay with the piece above it, also the head seems really narrow, i think you should widden it, the whole on the side of the jaw be more rounded and the jaw lines should be more rounded.
    the middel bit about he brow line should come lower also it looks like the elevation between his forhead and bottom of his face looks to change alot, when for the most part its a smooth transition between those to areas, ill attach the image i was looking at when i made these critiques so that you can see where im coming from :D

But keep up the good work man! :D

iron_man_2_widescreen-wide.jpg
  • megasean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis wrote: »
    I would say its a good start, but...i would say the chin needs to be wider and flay with the piece above it, also the head seems really narrow, i think you should widden it, the whole on the side of the jaw be more rounded and the jaw lines should be more rounded.
    the middel bit about he brow line should come lower also it looks like the elevation between his forhead and bottom of his face looks to change alot, when for the most part its a smooth transition between those to areas, ill attach the image i was looking at when i made these critiques so that you can see where im coming from :D

But keep up the good work man! :D

Thanks man! I greatly appreciate it. I'm gonna change the brow line when I open it back up. The perspective view makes it look way more narrow than it is. But I think that just means I probably need to widen it anyways. I just noticed his chin is pretty fleshed. I can add that little dip on the side of his chin when I fix it too. I might leave it as is if I can't do it cleanly tho. More updates to come soon of course.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Your proportions are really off unfortunately. Try this ref:

9XXBxle.jpg

Also the edges are really wavy and doesn't sell it as a hardsurface helmet.
  • megasean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates:
    Just about done with the sculpting. Just have to do some touching up here and there. Especially on the edges. But just a little more TLC and it'll be there. I made it wider, so the proportions are much better.

Q1cNZ9r.jpg

7iyZfgT.jpg
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Really good start but I think some of those edges are a bit soft and not as hard as they should.

Try using trim dynamic brush that may help.

Also check out this video for some helpful tips and tricks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBv8jww8DCU"]Zbrush Hardsurface Techniques - YouTube[/ame]
  • megasean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good start but I think some of those edges are a bit soft and not as hard as they should.

Try using trim dynamic brush that may help.

Yeah man, that's my only real problem right now. I was thinking about giving it a few passes with the h-polish brush, but I'm gonna try that trim dynamic brush first. I thought it was a bit to powerful of a brush, but it's worth a look. Thanks for the video too man. Book marked it, so I'm definitely gonna give it a watch.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    In my experience trim dynamic is great for carving in new hard shapes and H polish is good for refining existing ones.
  • megasean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably should push this a bit more, but I really wanted to see how this render would turn out.

Ni9r8Qq.jpg
    TAYP181.jpg
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, that looks better.

Great link JamesMeader, I was looking for something like that myself.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You should poly model this because it looks very muddy. What are you rendering in? Judging by the reflections it looks kinda like a zbrush render.
  • megasean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are you planning on going back to this anytime soon to work on it a bit more? Proportions are still off and it's still soft in a lot of areas like the eyes.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    If I was you I would add some decals, like scratches and paint chipping like in the movie would add so much to the piece and would make it look awesome
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    It`s a good start, but as others have mentioned, its proportions are off, and it is still soft in a lot of areas.

My honest recommendation would be to model it, rather than sculpt it, as I`m fairly certain it would be easier to match edge hardness.

I understand that you want to use zbrush, and that`s fine if its a personal challenge. That said, if the final asset looks like a zbrush sculpt, it has to be considered a failure, as it doesn`t meet the standards that you would expect from a traditional hard surface model.

I do think you have a good start, but it still needs more work.