Home Dota 2

Flying Boar Courier

Replies

• AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    These look great! Really solid animation work. The only feedback I can provide, and it's slightly nitpicky is just a bit more overlapping with the wings of the run cycle. They seem a bit stiff when the body comes down. Can't wait to see this ingame! :)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Thanks, I'll take that into account when doing a second pass on it :)

Here's a new one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anFpqMydpA8"]boar@death WIP - YouTube[/ame]
  • DestroyerGR
    Offline / Send Message
    DestroyerGR polycounter lvl 5
    I dont know if its just me or the wings are not ''timed'' correctly...
    there is a small difference between times!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Destroyer, thats on purpose. It's so you don't have 'twinning' which is when two things move or stop at the same time. It looks stiff and unnatural so thats why fonfa offset the timing
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Ha, great job buddy! Really digging it! :D
  • Howl
    Really fantastic work. Watched them over and over and I have no critiques on the locomotion whatsoever. My only crit on the death animation is that the head staying neutral on the y and x axis through the entire animation. Making it a little less straight on and rotating it just a bit left or right after he's done crashing might put some extra life, or rather death, into the shot.

Keep em coming! Great to see more animators on PC.
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great! The animations are awesome =D
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Thanks for the nice words everyone :)
    @Howl: Indeed, you're right. I'll work on that!

Got a new one to show:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GtWmd0TZA"]boar@flying idle - YouTube[/ame]
    What do you think?

I'll edit the first post to include all of them to make it a bit more convenient to watch.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys, posted a bunch of new ones for the flying version (run, haste, death). They're up there in the original post! I believe I worked on all of them (did I miss anything?), so I'll go back and do a polish pass on all of them. Got any feedback for me? :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    looking great man! i cant wait to see it submitted

dont forget to prepare a nice presentation and thumbnail, that is not much important for the ingame model but helps attracting views on the workshop and more feedback

the animations and model are great!
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    This courier looks absolutely badass ! Nice work man :)
  • slipsius
    These are great!

I think some of your flying things could use a bit of touch up. When they hit the bottom of their "falling", they kind of bounce up. Most noticeable in the haste animation. nice and smooth on the top of the translate-y arc, but a bit more linear on the bottom of it. My guess is its the start/end point of the loop.

Also, small thing, which could just be a difference in where you work. But idle_rare, those are usually called idle breaks. so idle_break, or idle_break1, idle_break2. that sorta stuff. But again, could just be different studios calling it different things.

Are you working in Unity? The @ make it seem so
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the feedback! I went back on all of the animations and did a tiny bit of polishing. Now I'm working out the kinks to get it ingame!

I can't seem to get the hair alpha working ingame. My diffuse (_color) texture has an alpha channel on the hair but it shows up opaque ingame. Anyone has a clue?
    Boar%40cabelinho.jpg

And the other one - My flying death animation pops up in the middle... See the video here:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=561Fz0_ZX7g"]MorteBizarra - YouTube[/ame]
    It starts and ends in the right spot, but it pops up in the middle of the fall. Is that normal? Do I need to compensate for this on the animation?
    When I try to visualize this animation on the game's viewer, it falls through the platform, like this:
    Boar%40platform.jpg

Thanks!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Did you save your TGA as 32 bit instead of 24? I'm not sure that couriers even support alpha as I've never done one.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    what happens is, the flying is lifted by code, but the death animation not, and the engine will try to blend from that which doest make much sense right?

6eYnU.jpg

6eYq0.png

animate it considering that the ground is under you 0,0, in maya is something around 150 units

6eYvB.jpg

i hope that helps =]
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey fonfa, as Tvidotto was saying, you want to animate your fall to be under the origin, and the unit number is "exactly 160". I say exactly because personally I had some weird issues with my courier where any more or less the death animation would either be floating, or under the ground, and it just wouldn't look right.

As far as the game viewer goes, that's completely normal. It happened to me as well, and the flying animations seem to be right on the ground as well. Kinda funky haha. Great work so far! I can't wait for you to finish this badboy up :)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys,

I'm confused... I made exactly as you guys explained:
    boar%40wtf.png
    Right? Or did I make wrong assumptions?
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh! My bad I'm so sorry, my internet was messing up so I didn't watch the video. This was Killing me when I was animating.

For some reason, flying deaths do a repeat of a couple frames when attacked by a tower. This is normal. If you spawn creeps and he gets killed it will look normal.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys,
    thanks a lot for all the help, I'm calling it done and submitting! Original post updated.
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    The design is great but I feel like the texturing style doesn't fit. It's really sharp and seems more "realistic" in quality instead of painterly. A lot of the textures look photographic instead of the established softer shading. Might even be worth taking a filter,blur,surface blur pass on it and softening out the sharp micro details maybe?

Hope I'm not too far off base there. The design and animation are super tight though!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey Dan,

That's a valid point, I feared that as well but once I put it ingame I think it looked okay, don't you?
    I did try the surface blur, it makes it look more painterly but has an artificial feel to it. Would need some painting on top to fix :P
    I'll talk about this with my buddy, since he made the model and texture. Thanks :)
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah Ill have to agree with Dan as well. The texture looks a bit too detailed, 'gritty' and real to fit in Dota. I'm not saying all couriers need to be cute but right now it looks a little out of place, it almost seems like its from Darksiders.