Home Technical Talk

[Rounded Pipes] Too Many Edges?

Hi all, So I'm working on some pipes and I wasn't too sure if my rounded corners have too many edges or not. Currently I have 2 edges in the rounded corner and if I look at the model without shaded edges on you can sort of see a little faceting going on in the mesh, but will that go away once I model a high poly and apply the normal map? I dunno the facet is not very visible and it may work just fine once my normal and texture is applied, any thoughts or tips on going about this?

l7o2.jpg

r731.jpg

Replies

• kimchee519
    Perna Thanks for the feedback. I remodeled the mesh with one less edge, and it looks a little odd, faceted a little more than before, but I'm guessing that is where the normal map is come in the play and make it look much better while saving polys, because I plan on reusing this mesh quite often throughout the environment I'm working on. Is it a bad idea to use normal maps on little shapes like this one that can be overlooked in environments? I feel it would be important because of the re-usability.

2nyu.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

[IMG][/img]y89d.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com
  • kimchee519
    bah, Posted my last post before refreshing to see your reference image, thanks man, ill try your method now and get back to you asap.
  • EarthQuake
    kimchee519 wrote: »
    Perna Thanks for the feedback. I remodeled the mesh with one less edge, and it looks a little odd, faceted a little more than before, but I'm guessing that is where the normal map is come in the play and make it look much better while saving polys, because I plan on reusing this mesh quite often throughout the environment I'm working on. Is it a bad idea to use normal maps on little shapes like this one that can be overlooked in environments? I feel it would be important because of the re-usability.

2nyu.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

[IMG][/img]y89d.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

You're doing it wrong. Re-read what per posted.
  • kimchee519
    Perna Check out the new pipe topology, followed your guide, seems to work a lot better.

wql6.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

43mw.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com