Home Technical Talk

UV Maps - Maya - Automatic map all faces to overlap eachother

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
roboy polycounter lvl 11
I'm using Maya 2013 and was wondering if I can somehow do an automatic map but have each face overlap each other?

I basically want the result you get when you extrude, all the new faces overlap each other on the UV texture editor.

Cheers! :D

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I think the tool you're looking for is the Unitize tool. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this tool is terribly inefficient due to each polygon face being its own shell, thus causing your vertex count to skyrocket. If it's for the purposes of getting a tiling texture to show up on a ground plane, you're better off just scaling a UV shell up until it displays the desired size of your textures, or setting a higher U/V tile value of the associated material.
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for replying dude!

It turns out, after doing automatic mapping and planar mapping and adjusting them all to fit the square - I can just select the face and use Normalize! I'm pretty sure I tried this before but it didn't work... oh well, least I know now!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    roboy wrote: »
    Thanks for replying dude!

It turns out, after doing automatic mapping and planar mapping and adjusting them all to fit the square - I can just select the face and use Normalize! I'm pretty sure I tried this before but it didn't work... oh well, least I know now!

normalise will only work when making an indivual poly fit the uv space if you want a whole object to be split into polys and then fitted to the space then select the polys (in face mode) then while still in face mode hit unitize - although some will probably be flipped or rotated but that can easily fixed with the snapped rotation buttons.