Home Technical Talk

Sculpting a Texture!

Hello my friends,

I'm new to sculpting and I would to like how this is possible. I was browsing on some blogs when I saw this.

axe_original_conecpt.jpg

Looks like a good conzept with good visible details and so on.

So now this guy made a Sculpt. And for me it looks like he 'Copy' the Texture on the Mesh. Or I'm wrong ? I have no idea how this can be done with a nice result like this.

axe_01.jpg

Is it so easy that you just need to paint over your Mesh in some way ? I would like to now more about this ! Looks good.

Sorry for my English :D

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like he just did a good job of following the concept. Those details don't have any clear signs they were extracted from the image, so I would guess he just put the concept as an image plane and drew his detail on top of it.

However, if you want to do it that way there are a few methods. You can take the reference image and turn it into an alpha in photoshop, and make sure to tweak the values so the right areas push out and in and so on.
    And if your model has UV's you can create a displacement map out of it for much better precision. You can load the displacement map in the Displacement Map tab under Tool and apply it to your mesh.

That's how I did a lot of the small detail on my halberd. I found images of ornamentation and clip art of patterns and turned them into a black and white alpha map that I displaced on my mesh.

halberd_detail.png
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDANYVcphk"]ZBrush Tutorial (Getting Started) - Polypaint - YouTube[/ame]
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Actually the flat parts is very easy, can do this by creating the pattern in photoshop and import it as a brush/stencil. I saw a tutorial about that on eat3D, http://eat3d.com/free/zbrush_stone , which is stone, but the principle is the same. The handle I'm not sure how he did.