Home Dota 2

How the HECK do you create texture masks 1 & 2

Hey all,

So I have my model and texture and normal map for my first weapon. I also have greyscale images for each of the 4 material properties that make up mask_2 as separate layers in a psd. I don't know how to convert those 4 maps into a single images that used the red green blue and alpha channels. Can someone help me?

I read the material guide and understand the purpose of each material property, I just don't understand how to make my grayscale images into a single image In the format the game wants.

Looking forward to some guidance!

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Copy all the pixel contents of your source into the clipboard (for instance, the pixels of the specular mask you created), select the desired channel in your final DOTA-compliant texture file, then paste (for specular : paste into texture #2, red channel)

(To select an individual channel, open the channel palette and click on the desired channel you want to work with, just like you would click on a layer).

Once you get familiar with the process you can then automate it all using actions, generating the two final DOTA-style RGBA textures from a PSD with your own layer group organisation.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Put together a small image that hopefully should clearly show how it's done.

uUvrlmN.jpg
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg so simple and exactly what I needed thanks!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oaky, so my final point of confusion. What goes in RGB? Does it just show a multiply of all the layers beneath it, or am I supposed to put my diffuse there?
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    RGB is just all the red, green and blue layers combined. Which is why you can only either view that rgb layer together with the other R, G and B layers, or alpha without the rgb layers.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RGB just shows the R G and B channels combined.

You can also put each mask channel in a group, then limit that group to be R G or B.
    Create your groups, then right click and group properties, and untick the channels you don't want.
    BRjjVat.png

Then you can show all of the groups at once and ctrl+a then ctrl+shift+c to copy everything and paste it into your mask texture.

Still have to copy/paste the alpha channel separately, though.