Home Dota 2

CRatcliffe DOTA 2 Workshop

Hi all, for a recent Uni project I have been giving the task of creating a character for DOTA 2. Now there were many restrictions that where made on the brief, here they are;
Character must be 600 tris or less
Accessories must be no more than 50 tris per model
Stand must be no more than 60 tris

Now heres the thing, I know nothing about normal maps nor did the brief require them. So the model may not be as good as it could be, but tryed my best with the resources they gave me. Here it is! Please comment on your thoughts.

DOTA2_CHARACTER_DESIGN_zpse1a609c7.jpg

Saplin_CHARACTER_DOTA2_zpse733537f.jpg

Final_Technical_Model_zps2c332e60.jpg

Final_Character_Sheet_zps80504007.jpg

-Edit- Sorry forgot to say, the texture for the character including the accessories is 512x512. The stand is 256x256

Replies

• SemiColonThree
    dota 2 doesnt allow you to create characters. Only couriers, weapons, armor, wards, etc. you cant actually create a hero
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    ^What Semi said. Was your assignment to just make a character that could fit in the Dota universe? The specs for the model are waaayyyy low poly even for Dota standards. 600 tris but you can use a 512 texture? Seems odd.

I would suggest you take a look at the guides Valve has made http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterArtGuide.pdf

That being said, your colors are very desaturated, Dota characters use vibrant colors. Those edge loops on the back of the head can be collapsed and used to better define the body shape.
  • CRatcliffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SemiColonThree-
    I actually didn't know to much about that. I thought maybe you submit the character idea to valve, an they see wether it's good enough or not.

Sukotto-
    Yer the project was to create a character that would fit the game, an I know 600 tris is low but for some reason the brief said 600 tris or less :( I guess it was our first attempt at a character, so maybe they wanted us to keep it simple?

The edge loops around the back. if I colapse them won't it create triagulated polys? I heard thats a bad thing for animation, and I should stay away from them

Either way thanks for the feedback, I'll check the link and work on that saturation :)
  • CRatcliffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just done a quick saturation boost for now

1_zps0c57c9ee.jpg