Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP scythe

hey so i know it looks crap but that's why i'm going to ask for help. im just trying to make a low polly scythe made with simple steel and wood. it's suppose to be mostly brand new so i wont be putting many scratches into it and the paint isn't finished yet. if it helps i can also post the texture. i am not sure how i should go about making it look better at the moment. i know the centre of the blade doesn't look right and nor the part where it goes through the handle but i plan to add some shadowing on the texture in that area i just haven't gotten around to that. any tips or advice for me to keep in mind while i continue to work on it would be great. also what could i do to make it look better? what other colors could i add to the light? i added a tinge of blue to the light areas and some purple to the dark areas but i don't thing the blue is coming out too well. it looks ok on the texture image but i only just realized how white the blade looks in maya.

5puz.jpg

Replies

• LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
    Is it 2 handed? The handle looks a little thin and short if so - the blade looks very thick and heavy. I'd say it needs some form of joint or binding modelling where the blade and handle intersect. Even if it's just a little extra bulge to accommodate the extra weight of the blade.

Google search scythe and look at some reference, there's usually a distinct form of join where the blade and handle meet.
  • TaylorMouse
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    did you use references, it is for in game, as a weapon, or a in game prop.
    If you like bad ass scyths, take a look at DarkSiders II, Death's weapons ( the scyths ) are awesome!

just type into google "darksiders 2 scythes" and select images.

T.
  • loki1991
    ohh i suppose i should have a few more pics to show size reference. and yeah from the angle i took the pic it does look off. my bad. i will be back with some proper pics and maybe an average sized human model wielding it to give a better reference.