Home Unreal Engine

What FBX type and version is the most ideal for UDK?

So I have heard that certain FBX versions are more stable than others, but I am still unsure of which version to use.

In Maya I am given the option of Binary and ASCII and also year.
I was wondering what are the ideal setting to export static meshes into UDK?

Thank you! :poly142:

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    I have never really had a problem with any particular version of the FBX exporter. From time to time the plugin does seem to break -- if this is happening just switch it back to "Autodesk Motion Builder", then re-input your export settings. Here are the settings I use:

Smoothing Groups: ON
    Split per-vertex Normals: OFF
    Tangents and Binormals: ON
    Smooth Mesh: OFF
    Selection Sets: OFF
    Convert to Null objects: OFF
    Preserve Instances: OFF
    Referenced Containers Content: ON
    Triangulate: OFF

if you have animation:

Animation: ON
    Bake Animation: ON
    Resample All --> use if animation is missing frames, larger filesize
    Deformed Models: ON
    Skins: ON
    Blend Shapes:ON

I use the standard FBX exporter, not the DAE_FBX extension. It is the one that comes with Maya -- never had the need to upgrade or install newer versions. They all seem to work just fine :D
  • Calshatra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting.

By default for Maya, "Smooth Mesh" is on by default. I have never turned it off.
    Is there a particular reason you turn it off? Also any particular reason you tun on "Tangents and Binormals"?
    I'm not exactly sure as to what the latter does.

Thanks for replying. :poly142:
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    No problem :D

Yeah, you never want Maya to smooth your mesh normals out completely. Sure, most game models are all smooth normals ... but on the off chance you actually want a hard edge you will want that option off. I just make sure my mesh's normals are smoothed before I export.

Tangents and Binormals are a Normal's cousins. The normal direction usually points away from the polygon face, and tangent / binormal show how the normal direction is rotated (stick your arm out -- that's the normal of your chest. now twist your arm -- that's the tangent and binormal at work). Tangents, Normal and Binormal data tell UDK how to shade the polygon. If this option is not checked on, UDK reconstructs the data on it's own. This can cause issues with normal maps -- the most common one I have found is a seam on mirrored UVs.

Oddly enough, I keep Tangents checked off in the UDK import window. I turn "explicit normals" on instead -- which from what I can tell reads the data correctly. I know the official Epic forums say to check Import Tangents on, but it always screws up for some reason.

Hope this helps!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya i been using the same settings as r4ptur3 for years now with out issue, if you want versions im currently using maya 2012 and fbx 2013