Home Unity

Unity modular problem/question

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
Hey all so I've been posting stuff in the PP section during th course of this project for school. I'm a first time noob at modular workflow so bare with me. So far, I've been making the square power of 2 textures first(or some un-square iteration), putting them into a 2048 texture atlas, and then just breaking the chunks off a plane in max to make my pieces. I might add a little geo to the chunks but nothing major so far. I knew I'd have a problem sooner or later when it came to my ceiling pieces and such. I made the first wall piece today, and bent the top segment down to start adding some depth to the pieces and now my problem starts.

How do I now make a piece for the ceiling and fit it into a power of 2 piece on the atlas? I went ahead and mocked it up in max by duping a floor piece and 2 of the wall pieces(attaching them/bridge etc.) The piece will now fit but for the life of me I can't figure a way to do this right and have a nice even power of 2 section to make in PS. Here is a couple of screens to maybe help you figure what I mean.

6lKX03m.png
rjIIdGv.png

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technically, if it's an atlas, you don't need any of the textures to be power of two - so long as the whole atlas texture is power of two...
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, gotcha. I was thinking that and though it was just easier/cleaner to keep everything in nice chunks in PS to make all the little pieces. Instead of messing around on that wall I just redid the top of the wall piece and made the ceiling piece go all the way across in another square piece. I think now I'm figuring out how to better make these pieces moving forward with more variety and shapes. Right now they are all squares. I want to get in some angled corner pieces, and the like, and I think I might be able to figure that out now. Thanks for the response. I didn't think anyone really came in this part of the boards very often so asking a Q I thought might be a longshot.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I came up with. Like I said, I'm gonna start trying to get a lot more variety of shapes in here. I'm a total modular noob.

UJyfqoo.png
  • curzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some pieces won't always be clean power of 2 in PS, for example if you wanted any 45 degree angle wall its gonna stretch your UV unless you unwrap.

Here is a good resource
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/modular_sets/modular_sets.html