Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

??Retopology Workflows-Game Development

This was my first time completing a model from start to finish using Zbrush.I began with Zspheres,sculpted everything,then took advantage of the ZRemesher Tool and set the guides of topology(Not visible).

5xbAJES.jpg

My question is,are there any reliable workflows for Game Development that would be of use? My workflow at the moment is as follows,but I don't know if it's inefficient or complicated atm.

1.Model in Zbrush.(Assuming I don't use Max)
2.Duplicate HP,Draw out guides to direct topology and Zremesh.
3.Take into Unfold3D for Unwrapping.
4.Bring back into Zbrush,projecting HP onto new UV'd Low Poly.
5.Use Multi-Map Exporter and export Mesh,Normals,Displacement.
6.Test in Marmoset Toolbag.

I got a few critics from a friend about the legs being too small to support the weight,so I resized them.
bo9RMAL.jpg?1

There's also another issue involving Zbrush's "Copy UV/Paste UV's" function. Whenever I work on a copy to get UV's for pasting,the object I paste to has it's UV's segmented into islands.Is this common?

One more thing.I know that ZRemesher seems to be great for getting a quick retopology,but is it wise to use this professionally?I was fine with using Topogun to do so. I felt that it gave me a good workout about learning how to properly fit your model,but it kind of feels like a big disadvantage when you're just getting into it all.

I'd also appreciate any critics on the mesh.It's really basic and I wanted to add more like scales and such with Micromesh,but I was all out of time. :(

Replies

• Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Your workflow seems to work. When choosing a workflow, the only things that matter are :
    - How fast is that workflow?
    - Does the end result looks good?

Now, I wouldn't bake my maps in Zbrush, use Xnormal. It's very easy to use, free and will give you better results than Zbrush. And don't use ZRemesher to generate your final lowpoly or at least modify it yourself by hand. It always makes some weird topology that will deform very baldly once animated.
  • Melodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much,Popol. I'm enjoying XNormal and learned a lot of baking tips.
    I've just decided to retop in ZRemesher and make edits as stated.