Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snooker Table in 3ds Max

http://daniellearmouth.deviantart.com/art/Snooker-table-004-Edited-3ds-Max-render-408540382
This is my render of a snooker table with all the balls on the table at the correct layout and regulation dimensions.
I'm looking to improve this, for instance, by having a shot where the cue ball breaks the reds. However, I want to get it done realistically, and I am having trouble with APEX at the moment (I used that instead of MassFX because that was being a pain to me), but it's nothing a bit of persistence can't solve, eh?
I've been looking to constantly improve this, because this is to become portfolio material for university.

So, guys. Whatcha think so far? Looking good, or still need a lot of work to it?

Replies

• daniellearmouth
    Perhaps it would be more helpful if I posted an image directly.
    The image link I provided is massive, so I scaled this down to 1024x576, so that it would fit in the forum

RxBqi7F.png

There we go.
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoldBlackWolf polycounter lvl 12
    A few negatives to point out:

1) It's too clean. What I mean is your snooker table doesn't look used or worn in, by leaving it looking factory fresh it actually detracts from a sense of realism. Look at some references from snooker halls. The edges are worn and the cloth is dirty sometimes with patches of dirt where people have split drinks or caught the cue tip when striking the balls.

2) Far to angular. The edges are rather harsh on you model which makes it form some obvious lines in your render. Try to chamfer them a bit (then add turbo/ mesh smooth afterwards), this will help to soften them up a bit.

3) Your lighting needs some direction. I can see two definite strong light sources which create a very harsh reflection on the forward two surfaces of the table. Try setting up/ researching 3 point light at least to present your work. I would also recommend setting the table in a scene of some sort (far better than a blue floor).

4) Your render uses a very strong blur (DOF) towards the back. If you really want it on (good for when it is in a scene) then turn it down a bit more. I feel the further back I look I am slowly going back in time and looking at an 8bit graphic of a snooker table (aha).

5) I can't really say much about the snooker balls themselves as it is hard to cock-up a sphere. So with that in mind your focus to detail should be the snooker table. I would recommend basing you model from a snooker table based in a Bar of some sort rather than a WSC hall. Bar table look more alive and will push your modelling skills further.

So good points.

It does look like a snooker table.

I am glad to see you haven't just decided that because it looks like one at a glance it is finished. I am looking forward to seeing this develop further. I hope what I have said is helpful to you.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I would definatly agree with GoldBlackWolf

Also, i think your materials need defininition, it seems like you dont have a norm or spec map on your wood, wich then makes it look like its made out of plastic and not giving to much difference between your felt and wood.

Also...this is just food for thought.....i understand your just doing the table but its all about the presentation....make it tell a story....now im not saying model a bar but i am saying...at least....light it as such with warm lighting ...and put a wood floor under it that way your tieing things in and your focal point is still the table :D

But its a good start, keep at it :D
  • daniellearmouth
    Man I haven't been on here in a while.

Thanks for all the tips, guys; I kinda left this out to pasture for some time since I was working on many other things.
    I may have to dredge the file up again before I can work on it, but when I do, I'll be sure to take everything into account here and work on changing it up a bit.
  • daniellearmouth
    Ok, so I dug up my file and now I am working on making this portfolio-level good at the least.
    I am also changing this up a wee bit, by changing the scene as a whole. Now, I'm making it into a bar scene. I'm going to be using the Populate feature on 3ds Max 2014 to my full advantage to give the scene some life. This way, I can assure the finished product looks good when I eventually move on to other more complex projects.
    I'll be sure to post frequently on improvements I make (which, as they stand now, aren't many, since I just found the file again). In any case, I hope this goes well.AKnFesb.png