Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first step in 3D modelling

So this is my first project. I'm working with Mudbox. As you can see it's very WIP.

f7XYTN1.png

Do you guys have any tips for me? I have a huge problem with the ears.

Replies

• HammerFist3D2D
    Hey gj, some suggestions.
    Make beard a bit more boxy, it is too round. Eyes are too small, make them bigger and wider. Nouse, somehow middle line is too fat/wide make it thinner, and sides are too high, make them in same height like middle. About ears, to make their size realistic, make their bottom to nouse and top to the middle of the forhead. Hope this helped. Gj
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    You've gotta pay attention to the proportions of the various features of the face. The relation between the eyes, nose, mouth, etc. A google search can certainly come up with an image or two that helps.

But, you're looking pretty good for your first try though. Keep at it!
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also go a few subdivision levels down before trying to apply HammerFist3D2D's suggestions.

Don't worry about the inner forms of the ears yet. You need to get your major proportions correct first. Eyes need more space between them, they are also too high etc. Using a facial anatomy chart as a guide is probably what would help you most.

EDIT: I type slowly :icon60:
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Aside from what others have mentioned, I'd just like to point out that you should not use the base Mudbox head without first adjusting the proportions and placement of the facial features. It's not a very well-made base mesh; the eyes are waaaay too high up on the head, the nose is strangely large, the mouth is placed weirdly, and the ears are next to useless without a lot of massaging.

Whenever you're working from a base mesh, pull some bits around at the lowest subdivision level until the proportions look right. Once everything looks nice as large, chunky forms, then step up a level and keep doing the same thing. Only add detail when you need to.
  • thepapercut
    Everyone's comments already seemed to touch on what I would say. Best of luck on the road ahead.
  • AssassinoZockt
    I stopped doing 3D models a couple months ago, but two weeks ago I started working on this model again. Is it worse or better than before?
    cd8eDOG.jpg

Oh, and thanks for the feedback guys!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It's better, but you gotta slow down and take a few steps back. We all had to at many points in time. You want to look up reference and follow them. Head planes also help greatly.

Something like this helps a ton. Ignore details. Get the shape right first.
    face_planes_by_gilesruscoe-d56y4xd.jpg
  • AssassinoZockt
    Thanks, helps a lot indeed!
    nMUFNb1.jpg

I think I'm going to try and add a low poly beard and some low poly eybrows in maya.
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Ok you really need to scrap this and start learning the anatomy of the face. If you have no clue what the structure underneath looks like do you expect to make a convincing face. Watch this video by Ryan Kingslein learn facial anatomy. Pay attention to how the skull contributes to the shape of the face. It has the most influence of the forms of the face. The major muscles contribute the a fair bit as well ( not as much as the skull), but the micro details don't make a face convincing they just make it more realistic. Here is that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiBYgBmhH0
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    For what it's worth, I think your original head worked pretty well as a stylised/cartoon design.
    Your models might not be entirely anatomically correct, but they do possess a lot of personality, something that's often lacking in a lot of people's character art. Try not to hold onto that as you develop your skills
  • AssassinoZockt
    Changed some things today.
    UvQMEix.jpg
  • blinKX10
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    IMO You should widen the lips more, enlarge the cranium more and widen the gap between the eyes
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Ok you really need to scrap this and start learning the anatomy of the face. If you have no clue what the structure underneath looks like do you expect to make a convincing face. Watch this video by Ryan Kingslein learn facial anatomy. Pay attention to how the skull contributes to the shape of the face. It has the most influence of the forms of the face. The major muscles contribute the a fair bit as well ( not as much as the skull), but the micro details don't make a face convincing they just make it more realistic. Here is that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiBYgBmhH0

Highly recommend this. Absolutely must.
  • Moosebish
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    As much as it will pain you to start over. Do it. The best thing you can do at your level is to develop a strong foundation and that comes from repetition. Study anatomy and do anatomical sculpts. Over and over. They're going to look ugly. But save your first few and look back on them in a month or two and you'll laugh at what you thought was your best work before.

Its a long journey, but looking back at your progress is what its all about, enjoy the ride!
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I agree. Work on your anatomy before trying to get a final result.
  • Kon Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure how much geo you have there, but less is more! May I suggest starting with a 128 Dynamesh or something pretty low res. Less geo will force you to focus on the large shapes and plane changes in the face (or whatever your modeling). At this stage you don't want to get caught up in all the details. Keep going:)