Home Dota 2

Help importing drow model into Softimage 2013

Hello all,

I have installed Softimage 2013 x32 bit and I want to import drow's model into the program. However when i try to import the file which i got from this page : http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements/Drow_Ranger, via the valvesource plugin, i get the message that the file is NOT smd, even though it has the correct extension. Previously i was using Softimage Modtool 7.5

Now this has been driving me nuts, In the past i managed to import Lina and i did not get this error before. Now it has started. The files provided by the dota 2 site are in .fbx, .smd and .ma format. I have tried importing the .fbx and that works, however the result is that each mesh that I import has it's own rig. After getting everything in, i have 7 skeletons + the meshes are enveloped to their own rigs.

With the SMD it is much easier since it just adds the mesh to the same skeleton (atleast thats what i remember it does). Has anyone here faced this issue? please help me, I have managed to push myself to make an effort in modeling something for a dota 2 hero (did it before but was too lazy and just abandoned some projects), so now this is the only thing keeping me from doing it.

Please help.

Thanks.

Replies

• TheBetrayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BUMP.

Anybody?
  • jettatore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jettatore polycounter lvl 14
    Lol. Your going to face even more problems trying to export from Softimage, as I have found, that it simply doesn't work (fbx export) from that software. You will probably have to use some other software as a middle man for exporting, for example finish and rig in softimage then crosswalk the rig and item selection over to Maya and export just the item to fbx and into game from their with appropriate settings.

I never minded having multiple rigs/etc. because each piece you export, gets exported individually so that part shouldn't stop you. You can delete the extra rigs or ignore them. Just use any one of them for your weights and send that one over + item to your export program. Do this for each item.

I've tried almost every combination of setting to get a working export from Softimage and I've come to the conclusion that it is impossible, it writes the FBX file too different from what DOTA expects and simply doesn't work.