Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

[Question] Attaching Item to Weapon Bones

Sims_doc
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
So.. Recently i begun working on a flare gun its slightly steampunk with the copper and wood, plate-steel and naturally pipes and overall rather pleasing but i don't a clue how to attach it to a complex bone structure like the default flare gun bones because normally i only work with simple hats and misc items which only have a single point to attach to on the player model

I've already read a few tutorials on rigging but that seems more to be custom content and not using an existing bones that are provided by valve and what i have found regards to TF2 is melee weapons which again attach to a single point, which doesn't help much because melee weapons don't have reload animations to worrier about.

i'll like to point out that i won't be providing a shot because i feel that since it follows the basic profile of an existing item as in the flaregun there should be no reason too.

Edit - Forgot to mention I'm using 3D Max 2012

Replies

• Estavos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Estavos polycounter lvl 11
    Decompile Detonator. Import it to 3D Max and place your mesh as detonator's mesh. After delete Detonator's mesh and attach you mesh to weapon_bone. Use Import tool. You can import it as hat or misc item. Don't worry, you weapon must placed correctly.

Sorry for my English.
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    Estavos wrote: »
    Use Import tool. You can import it as hat or misc item.

I remember reading somewhere that last part is against the workshop regs or was that to modifier the file after packing?
  • Estavos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Estavos polycounter lvl 11
    Sims_doc wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that last part is against the workshop regs or was that to modifier the file after packing?

You can check all tags after Import Tool create ZIP-archive. When I create weapon, I check Misc category and Arms attach point =D Weapon work perfectly =)