Home General Discussion

Advices please

Hello everyone,
First of all,i'm a 17years old artist. and since i was a kid i've been drawing heros,monsters,people and monsters.. the past few years i've been making mangas and comic book pages,until now i'm still making them.
but my dream is to be a concept artist..
until now i'm learning 3d on the internet(Digital tutors) because i've seen some some concept artists using Zbrush instead of drawing. anyway, i'm just asking you guys to give me some advices...
what should i learn?
What concept artists do?
Can i work in a studio if i don't have any art degree?
I draw 4hours a day,is that enough?
please guys tell everything i should know
thanks ^^
Ps: I want to thank the whole Polycount crew and the people in it for their great work and support. you guys are my INSPIRATION!
and yeah...Excuse my bad english :(

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It probably helps if you post screenshot of the stuff that you do.

Sry can't help with this. ASk the next guy around :)
  • SharpDressedSkull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for replying ^^
    I will post some of my work now :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    If you want to be a concept artist, leave 3D at the side, its way too complex to just do on the side and that is a workflow very experienced people can use.
    Its extremely hard , so you gotta draw a LOT. Try drawing humans as fast as possible, anatomy is very important.

Learn photoshop, thats the most important on the technical side. IF you want to use 3D to help you, try google Sketchup, its extremely easy and can help you with perspective a lot, but dont worry about sculpting tools.

http://ctrlpaint.com/

Check out that site, watch a video a day or something, it will learn you all important basics. Watch your surroundings and look how materials interact with light. If you start early and work a lot, theres a good chance you can do that.
  • SharpDressedSkull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the reply and the site :D
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    First of all,i'm a 17years old artist.

Yup, learn basics from ctrl-paint site.

Get inspiration from art of previous games: http://www.creativeuncut.com/game-art-galleries.html

Start learning Sculptris (or if you have money, Zbrush, Mudbox, 3dCoat). See what pro concept artist are doing now and how they're doing their work.

Start learning basic 3d, use free Blender. Autodesk I think still offers free downloads to their popular softwares if you just use them for learning. If the registration site asks for a school name just pick "home school" if you're in fact not studying at an institution.

Practice EVERYDAY. Doesn't have to be hours long per day. If you make it a point to practice even 5 minutes a day drawing or modelling/sculpting your skills will add up over time.

Go to University for a degree in art if you want to work outside your country.

Make artist friends who can recommend you and your work in the future when you become a professional.

Get your work published in any big cg or game related contest, book or magazine (print or e-book). This will be all useful if you apply outside your country in the future.

Good luck. Don't rush, there will be jobs when you're ready.
  • SharpDressedSkull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much :)
    But.. do i really need a degree? because i've known an artist who didn't go to University and he's working for Blizzard entertainment right now..
    isn't the portfolio more important than the degree :( ?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you so much :)
    But.. do i really need a degree? because i've known an artist who didn't go to University and he's working for Blizzard entertainment right now..
    isn't the portfolio more important than the degree :( ?

There are exceptional artists who can get work visas in the States based on how good they are without degrees. Do you think you'll be as good as this artist you know? Will you make as good as portfolio as his/hers? Or will you end up wasting your time because you thought you'll be good training yourself on your own and skipped University when you had the opportunity to do so. Time will tell. Good luck!
  • SharpDressedSkull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never thought about that....that's true i can't skip it.
    You just saved me sir
    THANK YOU <3