Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Website update! Advice?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
octokitty polycounter lvl 14
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been lurking around the whole time. I've recently found out the studio I'm at is getting shut down and I will be out of a job next Friday, so I am on the job hunt again! I've decided to update my portfolio and work on some projects in the meantime and would love any advice you guys have. My website is all up to date, check it out here www.jbruno3d.com.

I also decided to work on this robot guy, The Boiler, and I think I might go low rez (no normals) and work the texture, but I hope it's what I "should" be working on... I want a job in 2d or 3d art for mobile games. I feel like I should put the character stuff to the side for now, since I have a lot of work to do if I want to become a character artist. So I'm thinking props, environment stuff, and anything hard surface might be best. So please look at my website and let me know what you guys think! Thanks in advance, polycount has always been very helpful :)
Scorch_minion_boiler.PNG

Replies

• octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    bump (I think I may have posted this too early.) If I don't get anything, I'll assume I'm doing everything right ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    I never thought of it as blog format, but i get what you're saying about less text more images. I'm gonna look into how I can change mine to show off my work more. Thanks for the feedback!
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    You are amazingly talented! If you are job hunting, I would definitely put your art right up front, so that there is no clicking to get to it. Right now your site doesn't read like a portfolio to me. Also your about me is very long, and some people might not bother reading it, where if it was shorter they would. Your character stuff is really strong, but buried in the bottom of the thumbnails. Also, if this is a portfolio site, you may want to keep WIP stuff in a blog separately, that the viewer can choose to go to. Right now the sight is reading more of a blog.
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Well I looked into changing my site a bit so it's less blog-like, but it's more difficult than I thought... I'm going to figure something better for the home page soon (something with big images that go into each gallery, rather then what it is now), but I think I'll keep everything else the same. I did reorganize a bit though. I moved my character art to a separate gallery, which I think might be best. I also made all the thumbnails bigger, shortened my "about me" section, and took out "Work in Progress."

If anyone has any organizational tips, or thinks I need more/less work in a specific area, let me know! Thanks for the advice so far :)