Home General Discussion

noob with xnormal issue

hey guys, i have only just started learning 3d and i am trying to use xnormal.
i have an issue with baking a normal map.

i have searched the forums and checked tutorials, but cant quite seem to find anyone having this issue. (although i dont know what i am looking for which makes it hard.)

if anyone can give me any idea of what i am doing wrong, please help. i need to submit work at the end of this month for school.

a bit of info:

i created the model in 3d max 2013.
i have used turbosmooth to make the highpoly.
the high and low are both in the same spot when exported.
i have reset xform on both high and low.
i have uv unwrapped the lowpoly.
i am exporting as sbm to xnormal
i have tried using 3dmax projection cages and also xnormal cage.
i have tried using different mesh scales.
i have tried ray distance calculator and left until number arent changing anymore.

if you need any more info or more screens, let me know. i am super new to this and i am getting really frustrated.

i have attached an image of part of my normal, but you can see obvious distortion in the normals. when i bake it seems as if its baking the lowpoly and not the highpoly to the low poly?

thanks for your help.

Replies

• putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Did you convert the mesh with Turbosmooth to editable poly before exporting? Gotta bake those subdivisions in :p
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    For some reason I get this sometimes when baking from an OBJ, when I bake from an exported FBX it works absolutely fine. Hope you manage to fix it!
  • vizekiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka wrote: »
    Did you convert the mesh with Turbosmooth to editable poly before exporting? Gotta bake those subdivisions in :p

yeah i have collapsed both modifier stacks for the low and high poly. am i supposed to leave anything in either of those stacks? for example not collapse my uvw unwrap on the low poly? or leave my reset xform modifier?

thanks for your help!
  • vizekiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    For some reason I get this sometimes when baking from an OBJ, when I bake from an exported FBX it works absolutely fine. Hope you manage to fix it!

im using the sbm filetype for ease of export from max to xnormal. but im gonna try with fbx now. thats a great idea!