Home Technical Talk

Cloth Tear's (Maya to Zbrush)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
I am having a hard time making tear's in Maya for import into Zbrush. Particularly, my character has torn sleeves up to his shoulder.

I have imported clothing from Maya into Zbrush which look pretty good. The problem is when I add the subdivision's onto it, the tear's that I have made don't start looking like tearing anymore in Zbrush.

I have seen some pics of people sculpting like werewolves in Zbrush and some of their tear's look amazing!

Does anyone have any tips, tutorials, on making good tear's in Zbrush. Or even a Maya/Zbrush plugin or such?

Replies

• darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like anything else it really just comes down to gathering good references, careful observation, and taking your time until you achieve the right effect. Sorry if that sounds overly vague, but that's really all it is.
    I get with your saying dude, but I think there is an actual technique to this. As, I mentioned before, it's not a problem with making the actual tear's. The problem comes from how Zbrush is translating my tear's when I subdivide the mesh for the clothing when I want to add more detail to them. The tear's don't become as sharp as there were.

I am more interested in seeing what kind of techniques other people use or the types of brushes they use etc. To say it's just observation, and referencing is really a general answer. I got that part. The technique is what I am missing. What do you do in your process?
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    You may want to turn off smoothing when you subdivide in zbrush when you start sculpting the higher resolution details ( or add a few support loops around your tears in maya so when you subdivide it, it will stay closer to your original tear)
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis wrote: »
    You may want to turn off smoothing when you subdivide in zbrush when you start sculpting the higher resolution details ( or add a few support loops around your tears in maya so when you subdivide it, it will stay closer to your original tear)
    I thought about that too, but that doesn't really do anything for me when sculpting the high level details in the clothing. I found a really cool tutorial on the net for making high poly rips and tears in Zbrush. It seems I am going to have to make those sleeve areas separately so I am going to start there! The results seems to be like another example that I saw in a Tekken X Street Fighter Alpha screenshot.