Home Technical Talk

"Cracks" in paint in Mudbox

Hi there,

I'm getting "cracks" in an object I've painted in Mudbox. I've tried isolating it on a particular layer but it seems to be on the layer selected but I'm not able to paint over them. It looks as though the edges are bleeding for different areas that I've painted. I made the UVs in mudbox so they are not ideal (newbie mistake). I turned off edge bleed but I don't know where to "paint" to remove the cracks - my question, is the problem actual edge bleed (have I identified the problem?) or is it something else? Has anyone experienced this problem/solved it?

Thanks!

Screenshot: cracks%20in%20texture.png

Replies

• DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    That problem occurs when the UV islands that you are painting on are too close together and don't have any padding. Definitely take your model into Maya or 3dsMax and properly unwrap it before bringing it back into Mudbox, then you can transfer the paint from your old model to the new one with the proper UV's. Hope that helps :)
  • s0rb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great thank you, I will give that a try :) I actually did try this earlier but when I applied the new UV's it looks like they became displacements maps or something on the model? I will give it another shot and see what I might be doing wrong - thank you for your help ^^
  • s0rb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay for those having a similar problem, I took out my base mess from Mudbox and redid the UVs, then I imported the model back in to the original scene (so both models now in the same scene, one with the old UVs and one with the new), and used "Transfer detail" to carry over my sculpting detail and then "Transfer paint layers" to copy over the paint layers. I haven't got it perfect yet but it seems to be working - prolly a bit more tweaking. My main problem is the displacement maps seem to have artifacts but being a newbie that's a guess.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Make sure that any displacement maps that you export have at least 16-bit quality, the default 8 bit quality doesn't have enough resolution to produce accurate, error free displacement maps.