Home Unreal Engine

Animation in Maya not importing into UDK

Hello, Polycount!
I am completely new to working with UDK and also somewhat new to working with Maya.
I’m trying to animate a sci-fi urn opening up, but I can’t seem to get the animation to work in UDK. I’ve created the skeleton and bound the joints via Smooth Bind, I’ve baked the animation, exported as FBX with the animation checkbox ticked, and I’ve been following this tutorial (using AnimSet) for importing my mesh with animations:
http://eat3d.com/maya_udk_2
(I have an idle pose FBX as well as an FBX of the urn opening)
I imported everything without any issues, but no animation plays when I press play in the preview window. I tried a simple import following this video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGqagU96WSY"]Export Animation Maya Import UDK Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]
Again, the animation doesn’t play in the previewer.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Is the problem in my skinning method? Exporting? Importing in UDK? AnimSet settings?
I am using Maya 2013.

I want to animate the urn so that it does this:
DisintegratorConcepts_URN01_b.png

My mesh looks like this:
Screenshot2013-10-11at90603AM.png

My Smooth Bind settings are:
SmoothBindSettings.png

My AnimSet looks like this:

UrnAnimSet.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    it says there are 24 frames of animation so something imported. do you have translations on your bones? if you have translations you will need to uncheck "anim rotation only" in the AnimSet tab.
  • Chocoholic055
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That did it!! The animation is displaying now. Only thing is that I now have a warning on the preview screen that says:
    "Warning: WILL BE BROKEN IN GAME!!! UrnActivate needs to be recompressed; displaying RAW animation data only"
    What does this mean and how can I fix it?
  • Chocoholic055
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, nevermind, I fixed it. Googled the warning message and it turns out I needed to compress the animation by going to the Animation Compression tab in the Animset Editor window, selecting Least Destructive compression algorithm, and applying it to the set.
    Thanks again for your help! Silly and relieving that it was such a simple fix.