Home Technical Talk

3ds Max VMF Importer and Exporter Updates

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
I wanted to share with you some updates I've done to Wall Worm lately.

A huge percentage of my efforts lately have been on enhancing the level design tools in Wall Worm for the Source Game Engine.

Recently I was lucky enough to be hired by Robert Briscoe of Dear Esther to enhance the VMF Import capabilities in Wall Worm (much thanks to Rob for this opportunity and support). Now the VMF Importer will accurately import all aspects of the VMF, including correct UVW for brushes and displacements.

This means you can bring complete Source Engine levels into 3ds Max where you can finish them inside Max.

This includes:
  • World Geometry
  • Displacements
  • Materials
  • Entities
  • Entity Outputs (I/O)
  • Props
  • Visgroups (layers)
I also updated the VMF Exporter just today to finally export flipped UVs (it was something I hadn't really been able to figure out for a while but now that is out of the way).

Other updates lately include improvements to the QC importer, so that more of the properties in a QC get translated into the Wall Worm Model Tool (WWMT) helpers that represent source model properties.

I also added special custom attributes to materials that include a large variety of Source shader properties. This means you can set many VMT parameters inside the material editor in Max and export these with your VMT.

Lastly, there are a ton of updates to displacements in Wall Worm. Lately, a new change is that displacements default to Quads for easier editing/modeling. However, they have functions in the modify tab for switching back and forth between triangulated and quads (as the triangulated mode works better with the Display Walkable xView in Wall Worm).

Here is a new educational video on the workflow for using the updated displacement tools. I know it is long... but I made it more like a classroom presentation than an overview.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_XFF5_bW8"]Wall Worm Displacements 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I hope you enjoy.

Replies