Home General Discussion

Zing! Job

Finally got a full time gig! A year after graduating, working in a restaurant, and as a baker...the time has finally come. I don't post very much on the PC forums, I just lurk and absorb. Although I am not in the "game industry," PC has taught me so much through looking at peoples processes, tips, and especially How to make this shape thread.

If I can give advice to anyone who is still struggling to find work, don't give up! Yes, it's cliche but it is the truth. I went through several interviews this past year getting shot down one after another. I have had physical copies of contracts in my hands only for the projects to get canceled. You are not alone! I had days were I wanted to just quite and months of frustration. The past three months were the toughest of my life yet. Working full time during the day and coming home to do 3d for another 11 hours, I thought I was going to die. Pain is only temporary, it may last a day, weeks, months or years but you have to know it will eventually subside. I lost inspiration through my process numerous times but something little would always ignite it. There will be dark times, find the light!

I still have only touched the base of my knowledge and still have many challenging hurdles to overcome but I'm excited! Know that your job IS out there waiting for you.

Here's some tips that worked for me:

1. Work, pay the bills.

2. Set a goal (I would try to put something out new every week or two depending on the scale of the project. Since I was going for product design it was about every week.)

3. Build a relationship with recruiters! When you have something new that sticks in your portfolio, send it out. "Hi *Name*, I just wanted to send you my updated portfolio, blah, blah, blah." When they start noticing the frequency and quality going up they will respond with interest.

4. Put your new stuff at the top and beginning of your portfolio! Try to always exceed the last piece. I have a whole folder full of "not good enough."

5. Send out resumes like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would spend days just writing cover letters and making list of companies I wanted to apply for. The funny thing is the job I got was a complete fluke by going onto Indeed.com and seeing what was posted in the past month. It was a shot out of the dark that paid off.

This was just a weeks worth.
applied_zps0fcff463.jpg

6. Don't let life beat you, you beat the sh*t out of it.

Big shout out to Jon Jones. Even though I don't know you, your tips are life savers. I broke some of them (Wix web hosting, I'm sorry!) but you still have had great advice. I constantly send friends your stuff. So everyone, Jon Jones tips, check them out on Polycount. You can't go wrong with them and follow all of them (do better than I did.)

Jon's tips

Also, watch the Crunhcast too. Some really great things you can pull from those.

- Zack

Replies

• CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Congratulations! I'd go as far as to say that you should add another section called "Build a network". In many cases, the old adage of "it's not what you know, but who you know" is 100% accurate.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I've spent the last few months hammering out CV's, portfolios etc. Feels like it's never ending so nice to hear these kind of stories. Congrats man, glad it happened for you.

Most places I've found don't like recruiters so I've been applying directly. Problem with that is a lot recommend to re-apply in 6 months. Well waiting around for 6 months to pass so you can send stuff out again is ridiculous. Feels like everything in these industries is a case of who you know, and I know no-one. *forever alone*

Great tips though, very true. Congrats again!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Haha that looks like my CV folder. Sounds about right. Work a terrible job to pay the pills while you working on your folio. On the bright side, it does make you appreciate it more when you finally get one.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Who opens PDF's with firefox!!!!!!!!!

Joking ;) Grats and good luck on the job! Definitely pays off.
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats!
    Gl with the new job :)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Congrats, now the real work for you begins :D
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Glad to here. Thanks for the mention.
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations, dude! Awesome that your persistence and hard work paid off. I really appreciate the kind words about my writing, and I'm glad my tips were helpful! That makes me feel awesome to know. :)
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations Zack. Hard work and determination pays off. You mention you were going for a product design job. Do you mean a prop modeller, or actually a product designer?
  • EvanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    I too have a similar cover letter collection!

I can pretty much write a post with those exact same words today too! Just got back from Austin today with a contract 3D Artist job. It's only for a few short months, but I'll be working on a super secret, super BIG AAA game!

But yeah, I hear you about the struggles. I went through that as well. Sucks this contract I got is only for a few months, but I decided to move to Austin anyways. I'm in Houston and don't have a lot of stuff anyways. I figure I'll spend the next few months polishing up my portfolio in my off hours and see if I can line up something after this contract especially with Austin having a lot of studios. If not then I'll get back to grinding and doing what I need to do to make ends meet. But for the next few months at least...I MADE IT!

Sorry if I took a bit of your thunder here; wasn't planning on making a thread for myself. But congrats Zack!
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    Congratulations all around!
    Good to hear polycounters making it.

Awesome words of inspiration Zack.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I beat the shit out of life and now life is suing me. Thanks for not warning me!

Kidding aside, great post. Glad to hear you finally found some work. These are some pretty solid tips I'll remember when I start applying for a job.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Congrats.

And then when you get your first job the torment continues; as you try to get your skills and portfolio where you want it to be, and a job with your ideal studio. It's never ending!

But nothing beats the satisfaction of that first job doing what you love.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Congrats on the job. Though that pic is making me a little sick, really dreading the day I need to apply for jobs... At the same time looking forward to land the first job.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    Just shows how big a part persistance and networking plays in the job hunt. Congratulations on the job and well done writing all those cover letters ;)
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Congrats man! It's always great to hear these stories, really inspirational stuff! I know that feeling too of being on the verge of a contract, only to be changed on a whim sigh. Anyways, LETS GET PEOPLE MORE DOING AWESOME STUFF AND GETTING JOBS YEAAHH!!