Home Unreal Engine

static mesh dupe texture question

Ok, so I mainly just lurk these forums. I have a question and my instructor isn't getting back to me fast enough.. Online classes sometimes stink because of that.

question is: I have a static mesh that I imported from maya via FBX. Lets call it brickWall.FBX which was uv map'd and has a targa file placed on it. Well awesome, I see the birckwall texture on the static mesh just fine in UDK. Now lets go back to maya and lets apply a different targa to the same model and export that as concreteWall.FBX. it displays the concrete wall textures in maya, though when I import the fbx file into UDK. It still displays the brickWall texture.

I'm stumped.
any help?

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Look in the content browser for the material that is applied to the static mesh. I am assuming you are having the engine make one for you when the asset is imported. If you double click the material and swap out the texture it'll work fine. I generally avoid auto-importing .tga and material files for just this reason. Hope this helps!
  • gnatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 wrote: »
    Look in the content browser for the material that is applied to the static mesh. I am assuming you are having the engine make one for you when the asset is imported. If you double click the material and swap out the texture it'll work fine. I generally avoid auto-importing .tga and material files for just this reason. Hope this helps!

Yes, I was letting UDK make the materials for me
    I'll give it a shot once I'm off work lol. I hope it works
  • gnatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I'd like to say thanks for the help. I have a feeling your solution might have worked. Though when I tried to change the "brick" to "concrete" it just changed all of the bricks to concrete. So I ended up re-exporting all of the static meshes without the texture applied to it and disabled the auto material when importing into UDK. I applied the materials manually and it worked.:thumbup:
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10