Hi there, this is the first beta-release, so there may still be a lot of bugs, limitations and only a basic amount of features
But since it allows you to place at least existing objects with the tools of maya, it may be useful to some of you, so we release a first version.
I created this thread so we have a clean spot where to get feedback and discuss features. Feel free to comment.download v0.1 hereHow to install:
extract the content of the zip file as a folder named "m2u" to some place where your maya python script paths point to. Then you can invoke the script by calling
from m2u import init_maya
(this may change in future updates)
if you don't know what this tool is about, take a look at our short videos presenting the current features:
- The current version is limited to a Maya-implementation. The 3dsMax implementation is currently on hold, development will resume in a few weeks.
- IMPORTANT: the current version only works wit Z-up space in Maya! (you can set maya to z-up in the preferences)
- Feel free to browse through the code but keep in mind that it is very untidy, we had no time to clean up yet.Limitations, Problems, Bugs:
- the camera in UDK may not reflect over-head rotations correctly
This is because UDK has maximum values for camera rotations in certain directions, this may be fixable but is low priority.
- multiple UDKs running at once
currently the first instance that is found is taken (most likely the first one started). We may provide some means of providing a list the user can select from in the future, but it is low priority.
- selection in UDK is lost after transforming objects
this is happening because every object is pasted individually, only the last pasted object will be selected in UEd. A re-selection is possible but is not very important, we think, so it's a low priority. (yes, pasting all transformed objects at once is possible too and is a future development target)
- No Location Attribute Found error appears
if you get this error message, you are trying to transform an object that resides in the absolute center of the world in UDK. In that case, there is not Location statement in the ascii-representation. Our script currently uses this as the anchor for replacing the transform information. This is fixable but requires some string-decomposition code work...
- Objects are not transformed in UDK
This still happens sometimes and keeps at specific objects. Sometime it helps to transform another object and then try again, sometimes it doesn't. This problem appears very unregularly and we didn't nail down the reason yet.
- When transforming objects with shift+mmb in maya, the update will be issued when the shift key is released
This is to prevent UDK from calling the Save To Clip Pad modal dialog which will thread-lock both applications. It may still happen if you tap shift again while the commands are being sent to udk. Please read the Technical Description section in the second post for more information.