Home Technical Talk

Zbrush transfer UVs - from trias to quads

wishgranter
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
wishgranter polycounter lvl 7
Hi all. Its there a way to transfer UVs under this conditions ? :

1. raw scann data retopo with Qremesher, detail transfer to new mesh, clean problematic areas and, adding details and etc. the "RAW" scann still in subtools with UVs and texture - is there a way to transfer the UVs and texture from raw scann to the new retopo mesh inside Zbrush ? or should i create new UVs on the quad mesh and transfer just textures from raw model ?? how ?????

2. exported QUAD mesh to AGI Photoscan, there is it automatically transformed to TRIAS, generate new UVs and texture. can i transfer UVs and texture from "identical" meshes, just one is in QUADs ( no UV, no texture ) and 2nd is TRIAS with UVs and texture ???

Replies

• Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Partial answer

You can't transfer uv between different meshes topology-wise as uv is basically your unwrapped mesh. You need the same vertices, in the same order, same faces to transfer uv...

However, you can reproject a texture between 2 different uv layouts. You need to unwrap your retopo/quad mesh.
    As for projection, i don't know how to do it in zbrush, but it's easy in xnormal or 3dsmax

edit: looks like there are some tools to reproject uv aswell. Don't know how good it works tho
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=830596&postcount=5
  • wishgranter
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    Partial answer

You can't transfer uv between different meshes topology-wise as uv is basically your unwrapped mesh. You need the same vertices, in the same order, same faces to transfer uv...

However, you can reproject a texture between 2 different uv layouts. You need to unwrap your retopo/quad mesh.
    As for projection, i don't know how to do it in zbrush, but it's easy in xnormal or 3dsmax

edit: looks like there are some tools to reproject uv aswell. Don't know how good it works tho
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=830596&postcount=5

Hi thanx, at least in MAYA it is "easy" to transfer UVs from tris to wuads, but im searching for solution with Zbrush.....
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, same here i always wanted to know what wuads are, can you elaborate ?

;)
  • wishgranter
    Offline / Send Message
    QUADS - fuuuck.. sorry..... :-D
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    if your scan mesh has UVs and textures in zbrush, convert textures to polypaint (you may need to subdivide it a bit to maintain resolution depending on your scanresolution vs raw texture resolution)

then UV your new retopo mesh, either in zbrush or in external 3d app, then when you project in zbrush, select yes when it asks if you want to transfer your polypaint data.

once completely reprojected, you should have your mesh details and your texture details on your new retopo'd and UVd mesh, then you can just convert your polypaint to a texture and voila!