Home General Discussion

You Won't Believe One Person Created This Whole Game

Replies

• xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    one of his kickstarter response
    now 90% of art assets for the project are my original artworks!
    When I started work on the project, I tried to use some of the assets that I bought at Unity3D asset store. But I soon realized that it was bad idea, because now is no packs available for use in projects that looks AAA-quality. And as you understand, generic packs cant fit to the game style. Thats why I'm totaly reworked and improved assets that was purchased and continue to do everything by myself.
    But if I reach the goal here, I will expand team to finish project faster and make it better.
    you can read more here
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starworksart/universum-war-front-fps-rts-moba-rpg-in-one-space/comments

I can understand why many still don't believe it, its too unreal isnt it?

but one one thing for sure, this guy is my new inspiration. a new hope of small indie studio could make quality game, without being "dumbed down"

:) I hope it delivers in final product, I already in love with the amount of content this game offers.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    <forget it>

Just a personal difference - I've been told I'm a saint when it comes to telling the truth
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Cool, he's already past his goal and 22 days more to go. Guessing he'll crack $60K.

He could set up a stretch goal for 80K and he'll upgrade models with Vitaly Bulgarov's black phoenix kits: http://vitalybulgarov.com/3d-kitbash/
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D.Carmine wrote: »
    I just recently saw a video from Zbrish central where a character artist from Epic games talked about how they streamlined their pipeline allowing them to create a fully finished character in about 2 weeks. That is 2 weeks of 8 hours work days for one character.

In their SIGGRAPH series a Sony Santa Monica artist-demoer said they were retopoing for weeks for one character but now with zremersher they boiled it down to under a minutes (but they still spent more man hours for Kratos).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weeks to re-topo a character? What?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah weeks sounds kind of excessive. Maybe they mean total on the character? Or maybe they mean bureaucracy (retopo, send in, wait a few days for feedback, edit, send in)?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's in the last video. Fast forward near the end when they had a q & a with the audience. The artist also said they spent 8 months working on Kratos alone but he didn't go into details.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah multiple weeks for one character doesn't sound right at all, *especially* if they are okay with the less than perfect zremesher results. Even for a very high end cinematics character you don't need more than a few days max, unless there are tons of changes and edits, but that's besides the point of course.

Sounds to me like the worflow of someone stuck in the past, not using Topogun or any dedicated retopo plugin, and instead eyeballing everything by hand. No excuse for that :)

Also, 8 months on a character as simple as Kratos doesn't sound right either - but again, that depends on edits. Still, sounds like poor planning to me, like 3d being done without a solid concept, ending up being tweaked forever.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Main characters usually take months to finish because the concept of the character often changes many times throughout the course of a game's development. Alice:Madness Returns is a great example of this, it is a sequel to a 10 year old game. What would the new, modern looking character look like? It was a difficult task to figure the answer to that question out for the team.

I love the art of that franchise so I bought the art book and they actually showed off every single concept they used, I believe by the end of the game's development they had around 15 different versions that were completely different from each other and it took about a whole year before they finally made the finished version.

This obviously won't happen at every studio, especially those that are working on a new project that has no past history, but I don't think it is unreasonable for it to take several months to create important characters.

Bioshock:Infinite is another great example. I believe the older builds of the game had Elizabeth as a much older character with gray hair and wrinkles, then when the game was released you could obviously see that she transformed into a young woman.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Of course it can take months to finish a character, no doubt about that. I was simply referring the specific step described here :
    a Sony Santa Monica artist-demoer said they were retopoing for weeks for one character but now with zremersher they boiled it down to under a minutes

If someone was retopoing an asset with so little importance that it could be simply given to Zremesher without much scrutinity, I wouldn't expect the previous rotopo process to take weeks in the first place, that's all.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm having trouble believing it. Of course I suppose I don't want to believe it.