Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Year 3D Film Progression

Hi there!

I'm a 2D artist and final year student in a 3D animation course. We're supposed to make a film for our final year, and I'd sure appreciate any feedback if at all possible :) I'm a huge newb, but I really would love to improve my skills in modelling, especially zBrush.

I really don't want to flood this board with a ton of concept art, so I'll just show some of my better one's from my film production blog, which can be seen here if anyone's interested to to take a gander. http://sidhe2014.blogspot.ca/

Cat Concepts:
Sidhe_Shilouettes_Cat.png

SIDHE_CAT_ROTATION_01.jpg

SIDHE_CAT_ROTATION_02.png

Kid Concepts:

SIDHE_SHILOUETTES_LONAN.png

SIDHE_LONAN_CLOTHING.png

SIDHE_LONAN_CLOTHING_02.png

SIDHE_LONAN_ROTATION_PROTO_03.png

So for now, I've started trying to box model my main character. I'd much rather use zbrush for all of this rather than box modelling, but since he's going to be rigged, skinned and animated, I'm kind of hesitant to mess up his typology.

I'm kind of wondering if I can just block it out with the box modelling method, and then fix it up in zBrush? Sorry if that's a really basic question, heh.

i+still+hate+you+lonan.png

Replies

• nikudy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nikudy polycounter lvl 13
    Overall great concepts.
    I didn't visit your blog yet to see if you have a description there, but i think it would be helpful to post a small description here( story has a big impact on character design). If story is your main point of focus(and it should be :) ), everything else should help getting your point across.

The second image, suffers from lack of a unified style. In the side view the head has a rounded silhouette while the front view is all straight, sharp edges. You should make up your mind which style best matches the requirements of your story. While both might be viable solutions i would go for something in between, with a good flow composed of straight lines balanced with some curves.

Usually people start with Zbrush because of how easily they try different ideas or how fast can block the big shapes. If you reach a point where you are happy with the volumes, details etc, you can retopologyse and transfer your details on the clean topology very easily. Whichever way you decide to go, Zbrush or box modelling, my advise would be to start with the biggest volumes. When you have a strong base you add smaller details where needed. Your concept has cleaner/stronger volumes on the boy's face, while the 3d surface has a messy look.

Hope it helpes
    -Claudiu
  • Cryptid-Creations
    Wow, thank you so much for all the helpful advice, Nikudy! :) Much appreciated.

I agree about the cat's profile not matching up, I tried to fix it up and make it a little more consistent by sharpening the ears and muzzle.

Untitled-1.png

Also going to redo the head entirely now; I agree it looks weird. I must have messed up the typology. Going to start with the chest and work from there now.

Thanks again! :)
  • nikudy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nikudy polycounter lvl 13
    Some possible variations on the cat head:
    c848.jpg

One towards round shapes, the other towards straight lines.