Home General Discussion

Game component question...

This is a really messily-phrased question because I'm quite confused and ignorant... so for games like mobile games Candy Crush has things like Ranking, Highest Score. Skyrim has things like Bunnies Killed, Potion Made. Mass Effect has things like ( I recall faintly) Total Head Shots, Enemies Exploded.... you know what I mean. What exactly are those things called?

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Achievements (or 'Cheevos' as some people like to call them)
  • lancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, thanks Torch! I'm trying to look at some games to see how they guide the player towards quest or aims that are either explicit or implicit. But Achievements don't seem to be a method...
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    lancer wrote: »
    I see, thanks Torch! I'm trying to look at some games to see how they guide the player towards quest or aims that are either explicit or implicit. But Achievements don't seem to be a method...

well its all about stimulating the reward pathways in the brain, there needs to be some challenge, a point you overcome, than a recognition or reward.

Quest>Boss>killed>level up, achievement, quest gold

or something more simple like guitar hero, where you hit the right key and you get the music playing nice, or some disjointed noise, thats basic positive and negative reinforcement.

but theres tons of material you can find and look up on this aspect of game design, its probably one of the most understood (which doesn't mean people often can't get it wrong)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Statistics for the player

Metrics for the devs.

Depends what you need it for. If you`re lookin into how to do something, then checking out how to find metrics would be more useful i think.