Home Unreal Engine

Maya to UDK Export/Import Problem

DroneOfOne
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
DroneOfOne polycounter lvl 9
Hey, i'm having an issue importing a model into UDK from Maya, shown below is the model in Maya.

K6h47lm.png

The model is made of of seperate pieces, pants, boots, head etc so I combine them in Maya before taking them into UDK.

When importing the model into UDK the model has errors, shown below.

fz7IjKx.png

Several faces are missing etc and some strange artifacts are showing. I went through the model to try and find the problem piece and when excluding the eyes I get this result. -

ukQ2a3F.png

I put some different geometry in place of the eyes to see if the same problem would happen -

YwaACdQ.png

I am unsure of the issue, any advice to point me in the correct area would be appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, probably not the case here, but with me, but sometimes it happens that i combine models that have different materials assigned, and when i export the mesh as such, it gets screwed up (error like with you) and broken into several assets on import.

It could happen that also that i didn't delete history and otherwise clean the scene before exporting, so maybe check out if you deleted history, cleaned the mesh, check if pivot is properly positioned and such things.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    when faces are missing / corrupted like that it usually means you have reached the max vertex count. all those hard edges are producing an enormous amount of vetices. try smoothing the normals on your mesh and it'll probably work.
  • DroneOfOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DroneOfOne polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you Zocky and r4ptur3 for your replies. When I smooth the normals I am able to import the model without error, thanks.