Home Dota 2

RDMD workshop WIP's

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
RDMD polycounter lvl 10
hi,I was wondering if I could get feedback from my submissions to the workshop

I especialize more on modelling so texturing is not my strong point

and I want opinions on my almost finished submission in case I might have to change something that will require working from the beggining

this are images of the item I am working right now for death prophet,is not finished but was wondering if the hair looked decent,since I think is more "busy" than the more simple default hair and thought that may not fit the valve guidelines about matching the style of the game (despite that some choosen submissions dont seemt to match to)

and also general feedback about if the item is good or bad

AzVnxfqh.jpg

the "crown" will have green color in the eyes,since its supposed to be openings showing the glowing hair

any feedback is apreciated

Replies

• Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    The hair looks decent, but the texture on the crown looks really splotchy - totally unlike the clean look of the hair.
  • identikal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it could use a bit more tonal variation in the texturing. Look at the difference in values between the highlight and shadow areas in the face/collar and try to match that look.
    The highlights in the crown could also use some saturation as it looks quite monotonous.

You've really nailed the sculptural forms in the hair though. Looks great.
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    I have used this guide to make the tetures using the bentnormals maps and coclusion to add the detail since I am so bad at texturing,havent donde all the steps since it seem to give a metallic feel to the texture

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123397498#19244

so right now the hair is just one plain color,is there some way to adjusts the maps to give a better look or I just start coloring away?

the texture of the crown is painted a bit,so if it looks bad them you can see my texture work skill

however this is all unfinished and posted it to get the feedback,nice to hear that is not looking bad,will continue working on it

EDIT: any guide or tutorial about texturing in the style of the game would be apreciated,I was hoping that using this maps will make it easier for me but it dont seemt o be,also photoshop tutorials can help too
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    redid the crown sculpt and simplified it,also fixed some of the maps on photoshop which I got wrong,th prtp maps,it seem this extra maps besides oclussion functions as a replacement of the "point light map" of the valve guide

right now the only color is just the basics ones,the green and dark blue,no other ones,I guess fixing those maps really accent the lighting,guess next step is to add more colors to higlight

xFZeZtbh.jpg

EDIT:made some change in the levels of the bentnormals map trying to get a look more similiar to dota since I thought it wasnt enough,image of the left shows the one I shown above,right image shows the one I just edited,I think it fits better the "painterly" look of the game

ZbufgN7.jpg
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    item submitted,a quick image of the item in the dota2 model viewer

QkeXIkTh.jpg

thanks for the feedback
  • jettatore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jettatore polycounter lvl 14
    The crown isn't working for me it looks like it's floating there, since it's held up by her hair and not her skull. I do like the hair though, it's well executed, however with the crown attached in it's current position and form, it gives the appearance of an upside down thong, sorry to be crass. I think the crown needs to be re-thought and modified but I think the hair is great. GL, keep at it. Personally I would first just grab the crown you have now, move it around and push and pull and reshape it, perhaps even extrude a couple of extra peaks on either side to break up it's silhouette. Hope that helps.
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    I think "crown" wasnt a good word to use,its more like a diadem

it was inspired on those big hairstyle queens used to have that,and often they were wearing things up in theyr hair

like these examples
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marie-Antoinette,_1775_-_Mus%C3%A9e_Antoine_L%C3%A9cuyer.jpg
    http://sophia.smith.edu/blog/fys199-01f12/files/2011/07/MA-9.Portrait-of-Marie-Antoinette-XX-Elisabeth-Louise-Vigee-Lebrun.jpg

thats why I wanted the diadem whatever to look like the strap death prophet has in the neck,to have this eerie leathery look,but if I didnt achieve that them I guess I have to change the masks and textures
    I prefer to see more opinions before deciding about moving the diadem to the head,I moved the diadem lower before to see how it might look but felt that the design overall kind of lost its "majesty"

edit: fixed some stuff in the maks that I havent noticed when I uploaded,the skull openings were not glowing like the hair,also added a rimlight to made it look more leathery

left image is the fixed one

sgoAX8J.jpg