Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Weapon WIP

Hi, i'm doing a sci-fi weapon and really need some C&C at this stage.
I didn't polish the model by capturing screenshot in marmoset/rendering in beautiful light setup. I just do some capture in MAX viewport. So it would show my bare texturing/modeling skills and i think it would be easier to spot problems on it.

Here's some viewport grab and my texture sheets:
OhmKBM3.jpg
QGcUjWC.jpg
HD1FIfQ.jpg
naavS1r.jpg
N3U9wjX.jpg
YtNgHYe.jpg
lrs0fU6.jpg
hhTJi6v.jpg
and i dun have a gloss.

Concept
aa1a59ba145e6eaa6e870144d689bae2.jpg

The bronze part is painted metal, and the metal part is bare metal. Grip and the tubes are plastic.

Beg for crtis. Thanks.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    You'll want to post wireframes and texture flats for your other texture maps (normal, spec, gloss, etc). It'll be difficult to give a good critique without those.

Right now I'd say for sure your material definition needs work. The metal parts don't read particularly well as metal, the brown parts I am unsure what they are supposed to be made of. Is it plastic? painted metal? Something else entirely?

Is there a concept you are working off of? Is there a style you are trying to match? We need more info.
  • pakwai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've added more details on it. How can i improve my metal?
  • CrackRockSteady
    For the metal especially but possibly some of the other materials as well I would recommend getting some reflections going, it will go a long way toward selling it as shiny metal.

As far as the rest, the model looks pretty good overall, I don't see any glaring errors, though it would still be good to get a wireframe up if you get a chance. Your UV layout looks good and you seem to have a pretty good normal map bake. I would say maybe take a look at some texturing/material tutorials on the polycount wiki, there are a couple very good tutorials that go into detail on getting metals looking nice.