Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LowPoly Bamboo Textured

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
First time texturing and UVmapping a model, it actually turned out pretty okay:)...(Texturing process would have went better if i had a tablet though). well off to do more modeling.

Maya for modeling and UV's .
Photoshop for textures.

Thanks for viewing!
c392f803475b74cbbead5eb0f79ff244-d6p1o0l.png

Replies

• BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Really good for your first time texturing, I assume the image of the far right is the bitmap?
    Can't really see the boundaries but I think you could have gotten a lot more resolution out of the UV space.
    Also, for something like this a 1024 is too big, 512 or even 256 would be better.

Cylinder tip: If you aren't going to be looking along the length of a cylinder or be paying close attention to the ends,
    you can give them a lot less edges that you think.

These look like 12 sided cylinders, you could probably get away with 8 sided,
    depending on how the asset is being used. You could use the extra polys to smooth out those sharp bends near the tops,
    unless that's the look you're going for.

I realise this is practice, but it never hurts to work to a standard :)

Nice job!
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK wrote: »
    Really good for your first time texturing, I assume the image of the far right is the bitmap?
    Can't really see the boundaries but I think you could have gotten a lot more resolution out of the UV space.
    Also, for something like this a 1024 is too big, 512 or even 256 would be better.

Cylinder tip: If you aren't going to be looking along the length of a cylinder or be paying close attention to the ends,
    you can give them a lot less edges that you think.

These look like 12 sided cylinders, you could probably get away with 8 sided,
    depending on how the asset is being used. You could use the extra polys to smooth out those sharp bends near the tops,
    unless that's the look you're going for.

I realise this is practice, but it never hurts to work to a standard :)

Nice job!

K I'll remodel and improve the bamboo, then clean up the textures so they look more presentable/cleaner etc... :) Man thanks for the tips didn't really notice that. Time to get back to work then. will post the upodate once it's finished.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your rendered bamboo shoots are about 80x600 pixels, which means they need a texture of about (2πr) -> 240x600 pixels for a 1:1 display. Usually you can afford to go a bit lower. I'd go for a 512² like this:
    bamboomap.png

Which gives you two separate textures for the sheets, a border for the top edges if you need a broken shoot at some point, and three ends.

For the model, I'd go with 8 or 9 sides, and a lot less horizontal loops. 18 or so, instead of the 25 you have now.

Also. Rotate your shoots in increments of roughly 120 degrees, because of this:
    CylinderThirding.jpg
    If you look at a cylinder from the side you can see only half the cylinder. But the 'sides' of the cylinder are at such a steep angle that you can hardly recognize anything on it. So if you rotate it by 120 degrees and by 240, it will end up looking like three different textures.

Yes you can also do this with 180 or 90 degrees but that only gives you two variations or is (IMO) a bit too obvious. And along the same lines, you can also choose to only make a small texture and tile it around. So many options!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    Great tips Snader,

I think to add to the usefulness of that particular style of texture, it could tile it Vertically, then you can make bamboo any length you want. Or like you said just a small tiling texture in general.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes making it tile vertically is useful to a degree. It would be advisable to make it so you can take every of the 8 chunks of my image and simply put it anywhere.

However.
    It's (almost always) important to also keep it workable as a single texture. I could easily take my texture layout and apply it to a stretched cube for a very quick LOD model, or something for a handheld device if you're releasing on several platforms.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Your rendered bamboo shoots are about 80x600 pixels, which means they need a texture of about (2πr) -> 240x600 pixels for a 1:1 display. Usually you can afford to go a bit lower. I'd go for a 512² like this:
    bamboomap.png

Which gives you two separate textures for the sheets, a border for the top edges if you need a broken shoot at some point, and three ends.

For the model, I'd go with 8 or 9 sides, and a lot less horizontal loops. 18 or so, instead of the 25 you have now.

Also. Rotate your shoots in increments of roughly 120 degrees, because of this:
    CylinderThirding.jpg
    If you look at a cylinder from the side you can see only half the cylinder. But the 'sides' of the cylinder are at such a steep angle that you can hardly recognize anything on it. So if you rotate it by 120 degrees and by 240, it will end up looking like three different textures.

Yes you can also do this with 180 or 90 degrees but that only gives you two variations or is (IMO) a bit too obvious. And along the same lines, you can also choose to only make a small texture and tile it around. So many options!

k but why is the main texture split in two? and what about that 3rd end? (sorry I'm new and still learning lol) and how ould i be able to use do that with all 8 of the chunks ? to put them anyhere
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are two main textures. You can have the left half on one shoot, the right half on another shoot. Two variations. Rotate them by 120 and 240 degrees, total of 6 different looks.

Having three ends instead of two is also just for some more variation and to fill the otherwise empty space.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K well i decided not to update it after all, but will use the what i learned for modeling/textures in general. Thanks again guys