Home Dota 2

I'm looking for a tutorial

I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish the "physics" effect found on certain items, for e.g Dazzles rings on his staff, how they move around on there own as a reaction to the staff moving. I want to create a staff with long feathers that move as if it would in real life. I have downloaded and imported Dazzles staff to take a peek if there was anything I could have figured out for myself, and it would seem there is a bone system or something to that effect in place. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction? Thanks :)

Replies

• vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    You can't. D2 doesn't support jigglebones or custom bone rigs (except for the summons), so you'll have to work with the existing bones.

As for that dangly Axes axe or Centaur flail, they're just exceptions made by Valve.

You still can make a weapon that's supposed to be dangly, but bones are handled by Valve (probably because there's a limit for those), so if you do, just submit the item and hope that they'll do it.

That's for the custom bones, as for your specific Dazzle staff, you can use the bones that control the rings on his defaut staff,but they're pretty rigid, so the effect will be limited. Don't be afraid to try, but don't get your hopes up.
  • Tenji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replay vlad. Thought maybe because it's Valve, Havok would have been involved somewhere. If I use the existing bones, how would I set the feather part of the staff to those bones?
  • identikal
  • identikal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't. D2 doesn't support jigglebones or custom bone rigs (except for the summons), so you'll have to work with the existing bones.
    Wow Really? I always thought you had to stick to the existing bone structure on the summons provided =O!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    identikal wrote: »
    Wow Really? I always thought you had to stick to the existing bone structure on the summons provided =O!
    Yeah, summons and wards are free to mod as you wish, you just have to get under 52 bones.
  • Tenji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, thanks for that post identikal. I'm definitely going to roll out some basic test geometry. Do I have to leave the bones exactly where they are, or can I move them around slightly?