Home Unreal Engine

Mesh is exploding on import

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
UDK%20FBX%20IMPORT.jpg

Hey Polycount,

I have been importing a character into UDK with no problems, until it started exploding.

Has anyone had this problem before or know of anything that I might be able to do to stop this happening?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if this is a static mesh then udk has limits
    Triangle - 32768
    Vertices - 65536

ur off the limits by far.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhh that will be it.

Thanks Abdullah :)

I will have to see why it is adding so many verts on the import. I just checked the mesh version didn't break and that was 27807 verts as opposed to 102782!

originalmesh.jpg
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow man. that was a huge drop in vertices. were u importing the high poly instead? :)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Check your UV's

Make sure all your verts are welded, as well as your non-island seam uv's.

Any Normal or UV discontinuity = new vertex
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    hard edges = 3x the vertices :P
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

I have checked to see if the verts are welded and managed to reduce the tri cout by about 50 so it is now 41706 triangles.

It is driving me insane because I have not added any new smoothing groups, only modified the hair card positions and reduced the tri count etc

Could this be to do with a possible tick box that I might have selected during export/import?

I have tried deleting parts of the mesh to see if I could isolate the problem but it doesn't seem to do anyhting about hte quad vertex count :\

exportsetrtings.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    check to make sure your UVs are welded too. multiple UV sets will also contribute to extra verts.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    just curious, but does it make any difference if you untick "preserve smoothing groups"?Also I'd suggest checking "triangulate" in the FBX editor. (unless the thing is already 100% triangulated in Max)

Other option, since you're just doing it as a static mesh for the moment anyway, esport her as a .ASE instead of FBX. I'm pretty sure UDK still imports those.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys.

In the end it turned out to be the smoothing groups.

For some reason they broke and appeared to be correctly assigned to the model but in the smoothing group box itself they polys were not assigned to any smoothing group.

I had to go back to a previous version of the model but I managed to get them working again in the end :)