Home Technical Talk

no smooth group unless edit normal is reset.

GIS3000
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GIS3000 polycounter lvl 13
Hi there guys,

I'm now trying to get used to editing normals and using smooth groups. Has anyone noticed that after using the "edit normals" modifier, smooth groups and graphite modeling's smooth function in the polygon modeling tab no longer works?

It works only after I've hit the reset button in the "edit normals" modifier.

Is this normal? thanks!

GIS3000

Replies

• GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i guess you're right.

But what I'm saying is that this is true even after one collapses the stack.

Basically I unified the normals using "Edit Normals" and collapsed the stack. I then tried to modify the normals using the "smooth groups" way and found that I could not. Only after I created another "edit normals" modifier and reset the normals, could I use smooth groups and graphite's smoothing feature.

I guess the "edit normals" fuction is still in effect even after collapsing the stack.
    But thanks for replying!
    Regards
    GIS3000
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    if it's a matter of not being able to edit smoothing groups no matter what you do..it's a bug that crept in somewhere around max 2010 that seems to happen randomly... usually resetting the xform, adding an edit poly, then collapsing the stack, fixes it..although sometimes it seems you have to remove the complete geo as a new object via element to get the smoothing groups working again
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice low odor. Turning to poly also seems to work.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Never had this bug but maybe.
    Also, yes, if you collapse the edit normal, the edited normals are baked in the editable poly. The 2 systems can cohabit. Non explicit normals (dark blue) will be set by smoothing groups while explicit normals (green or light blue) overrides the smoothing groups.
    Adding an edit poly just remove all your manual edit (like applying an edit normals and hit reset), so yeah, it will take smoothing groups but ruin your edition work.
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess its time to experiment like crazy now.