Home Dota 2

My first hand painted texture, Problem..

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
CJohnD polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone,
I just bought my fist graphics tablet and decided to make my first hand painted texture.
I dont like how the texture turned out on this model, what can I do to improve it?

chaos_sword.jpg

Thank you.

PS: I posted on the Dota 2 thread because the game uses hand painted texture, if I posted this on the wrong thread. I am sorry

Replies

• Primrose~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    CJohnD wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I just bought my fist graphics tablet and decided to make my first hand painted texture.
    I dont like how the texture turned out on this model, what can I do to improve it?

chaos_sword.jpg

Thank you.

PS: I posted on the Dota 2 thread because the game uses hand painted texture, if I posted this on the wrong thread. I am sorry

Hey, for your first ever handpainted texture, you did a really nice job, but here's what I say you could improve upon.

For one thing, the blade itself came out really nicely, you did an excellent job there, only comment about it in my eyes is you went a bit welt happy on the bronze/brass part, I'd be a bit careful of that next time around, they look un-natural and placed as opposed to obtained from use, and another point, on the blade's chipping, yous eem to have really drastic, all the way around highlights, which looks strange and rather light defying, since you have the shadows resting on that side of the sword itself

The Malachtite and other gem/crystal hand-guard can use a bit of work. As it stands, that spot in particular is all very samey in its shading and coloration, and nothing seems to stand out on it if I put it into grayscale, so there's no sense of contrast, and also, the darker green just doesn't work as a complimenting color towards the rather well done malachtite stone, and same as before with the blade, the welts and damage markings don't make a whole lot of sense right there of all places, especially on the hand guard. On a weapon, really the blade and anything extremely close to the thick of the blade should be receiving the damaging marks.

The cloth handle needs a lot of work, because the whole thing lacks any type of shading whatsoever, and all blends together as this big red blobbish mass with no sense of depth or size to it, there doesn't feel to be any defining shadow or sense of direction with it, which is something you should emulate with a painted texture; and you seem to know that clearly, since you did it quite well on the blade. Fix that, and add some more depth to the cloth straps, make them stand out from one another more then that.

Everything below the handle just feels really similar and lacks any strong contrast so it all blends away and is completely un-noticable. Another thing I would suggest is some slight bounce lighting from one part to another, to indicate that it's all different pieces as opposed to this flat image, make the brilliant reds of the handle reflect onto that stone hand guard, make the greens reflect slightly on the the blade, etcetera etcetera, and another thing; I would reccomend making those greenish pieces into parts of the blade, and seeing how that looks.

Best of luck to your textures in the future! I really think you've got some good potential, and anticipate seeing more from you.
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not good at describing myself in english so i did a quick paintover.

Right now it can look like you just filled in flat colors to your bakes. this adds a boring look. you might want to add gradients to your textures to add more depth. Your values and contrast can also be pushed. A trick you can do here is make your texture black and white. You also need a focus point. to do this you can add more saturation to one area.

yijNuox.jpg
  • CJohnD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJohnD polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you guys for the feedback, as I waited for the feedback on this texture, I did another one.
    throwing_knife.jpg
    I will do another texture for first one using the tips you guys sent me, Thank you very much!!
  • CJohnD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJohnD polycounter lvl 4
    Here is the new texture. What do you guys think, better or worse?
    Thank you again for the feedback!
    Have a great day everyone!
    chaos_sword1.jpg
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    if you wanna get into handpainted texture i really suggest you to start with some tutorial that gives you the basics of the tecnique.
    I started with this one https://www.3dmotive.com/f101801 and i found it extremely valuable.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    motenai wrote: »
    if you wanna get into handpainted texture i really suggest you to start with some tutorial that gives you the basics of the tecnique.
    I started with this one https://www.3dmotive.com/f101801 and i found it extremely valuable.

Great link, thanks!
  • CJohnD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJohnD polycounter lvl 4
    I bought that tutorial today, and watched it, really useful stuff.
    Tnx for the link.
  • CJohnD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJohnD polycounter lvl 4
    I did another one.
    [SKETCHFAB]7b9cdf4b602e416c9665d538d651fbcb[/SKETCHFAB]
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    glad to be helpful :)