Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Rush, Unreal 4 & 3 game

Dave-Mastor
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave-Mastor polycounter lvl 9
Hello Polycount,

This is the official Strike Games, Final Rush thread, which I've created to show off some of the art from our game. Some of the art certainly isn't as good as a lot of the stuff here; but it does comprise a playable game, so it may be of some interest. Some of you have probably worked on art for this game at some point over the past two years... in which case, nice to see you again!

Final Rush is wave-based first person shooter for the PC, built using the Unreal 3 engine.

In the coming months we'll be overhauling and rebuilding the game in Unreal 4, which we've recently acquired a development license for. You'll be able to see work in progress and interesting pictures here.

Please feel free to critique the art - it will help us to make it better next time around. Also feel free to offer tips, or ask questions about Final Rush, the game's art, or the Unreal 4 engine (I' m sure many of you have questions)

Without further delay, here's some pictures of the games current art:

(Only environment for now, other art will follow later.)
(Also these shots were taken directly from the UDK, which is why the resolution is a little... off.)

FRPC_007.jpg
FRPC_004.jpg
FRPC_005.jpg
FRPC_001.jpg
FRPC_003.jpg
FRPC_002.jpg
FRPC_006.jpg
FRPC_008.jpg

I'll put up some ingame screenshots later, as well as some other shots of enemies and weapons.

I'll also post some experimental WIP images of the UE4 rebuild of the game.

If anyone has any interest in working with us for game/ue3/ue4 experience or a good portfolio/resume piece; send me a PM. We can use pretty much anyone who is skilled at content creation.

I'm here to help as much as get critique, so please feel free to ask any questions.

Replies

• gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    Aww yea. I did a few props for this a while back. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
  • Dave-Mastor
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are 4 of the official gameplay screenshots. All four shots are made with the Military weapons, which all have a common theme to their design.

FRSS_08.jpg
    FRSS_06.jpg
    FRSS_05.jpg
    FRSS_07.jpg

Of course any feedback is welcome. As before, many artists contributed to the final results of these images.
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Really nice work! Congrats to everyone involved :) The only feedback that I can give as a designer is that the lighting should have more variation in order to guide players to focal points.
  • Dave-Mastor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! The lighting is a little more clear ingame, but I definitely hear what you're saying. Generally speaking the lighting is a bit stronger around objectives or focus points, and usually a bit colored too; and the common paths are more well lit than the fringe paths. You're right though, it's definitely something to keep in mind when working on levels in the future.
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Are you using the emission of some of the different materials to generate lighting in lightmass or are you using point lights and whatnot?
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    That is some beautiful art, I especially love the weapon models! Haven't heard of this game before but it's definitely on my radar now, keep up the great work.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good, can't wait to play it! :)
    Would be really awesome if you could post some breakdowns~
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Game looks decent.
    UE4 details would be interesting. I wonder if they completely stop eveloping the SVOGI and cut it out from all developers.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Looks like current gen models with next gen shaders, push them polys harder guys!
  • Dave-Mastor
    Offline / Send Message
    @DougClayton4231 - In some cases yes, but in most cases, no, we're not generating lights directly from the emissive. Our level lighting artists, Christopher Albeluhn actually found it to be more efficient to place the lights manually per object, then have them generate the lights from the emissive.

@Rhoutermans - Mandatory plug: If you want to play it and take an in motion look at the art FR is available on GamersGate, though be advised a major overhaul/improvement patch for the AI will be coming out fairly soon. I'll post some breakdowns soon... anything specific you would like to see?

@Computron - There doesn't appear to be anything in our build, but features come and go in the latest builds all the time. The lighting is still far more advanced, flexible, and impressive as compared to UE3.

@Gannon - For the UE4 build, we'll be pushing DX11 and tessellation a lot in the art direction. When we started work on the Art, tessellation was still too experimental in UE3 to use. To be honest, one of the hardest aspects of making the art was breaking each artist out of the low-poly mold they were used to developing game art in.
  • Dave-Mastor
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't forgotten about this thread, we're just busy making the latest update to the game. I'll share more art shortly. If anyone has any special requests on what they'd like to see, drop 'em here!
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Overall, it looks pretty nice from a technical standpoint. It feels rather generic, though, like it's lacking a strong concept/design direction. Not sure how far along you guys are and whether that's helpful at all, but I think it'd be worth revisiting the concepts to push things to be more unique.
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it's a lot, but I'd really like to see how modularity plays into your level design throughout the game :P
  • creamtown
    Great job dude. Really like it. I wish i could make that one someday. hehe

My last post Games, Tablet and stuff
  • Dave-Mastor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jason Young - Definitely; we've been struggling a bit with that. The upcoming revision completely overhauls the art style, and it should end up being a lot less generic, and much more unique and interesting.

@creamtown - A bunch of artists contributed to this... while I'm certain a one or two artists working together could achieve something similar, it would probably be pretty difficult. (Of course, I'm talking about the entire project... just the environment art would be a different story)

DougClayton4231 - Ask and you will receive:
    This unlit example scene should make the modularity a little more apparent:
    ExampleScene.jpg

Likewise, this screencap of the content browser will show you a sample of the architecture assets used to create the levels in the corporate theme.
    ContentBrowser.jpg

Generally speaking the environment assets are made in some multiple of 192 units in width, and 144 units in height - so everything plays together fairly nicely. It's probably a big contributing factor to the generic appearance, but it was the first attempt at modularity, from which quite a bit has been learned.