Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Punishment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Polymiron polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys. Well I've been at this whole job searching thing all summer and you know the deal. Not one reply, not one interview. I've asked a bunch of people from school, including teachers what I should do to improve my portfolio and now I'm coming to you, be proud! :poly142: Anyway, I think the way I'm presenting my portfolio has come a long way since the beginning summer but I could really use some feedback on the actual content. :poly122:

PS: I'm kind of new to Polycount so I hope I'm not intruding by posting in this location..

Thanks xoxo

Here's the link

http://cargocollective.com/ryanalbiez

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    What kind of work are yo looking for? Most of your portfolio does not look game res, so I was just wondering.

The Putin piece is pretty weak and should definitely removed. You have dates on all of your pages - you shouldn't have anything from 2010 or 2011 on there. Your portfolio should represent your current skill level as closely as possible. If you must put old work on there I wouldn't date it.

A lot of these just look school projects. You need to focus on completing more personal projects and updating with current, higher-quality work. Post your work here or a forum like it as you go and you'll get good feedback and improve quickly if you listen.

Hope I'm not being too harsh, there's potential here for sure, but you're going to have to step it up and replace all of this before the portfolio is industry ready, IMO.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with what was said above.
    Also your video is blurry as hell, and really makes your stuff look even weaker. re-do it or kill it.
    Remove the Putin, it doesn't look good.
    Try and find a better car paint shader, something with some fernel.
    How come you doing have any smoothing groups on your skelaton? spend 20 mins and fix it.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Some things you will want to ask yourself are what you you want to work in? Most large companies wont be looking for a Generalist. Film or Games? This would change how you layout your portfolio in terms of Tris Count & UV Size.

The only thing I think I would keep from your current portfolio would be the Car. but as Jet_Pilot said the Cars Material needs work, its far to shiny.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Not to sound harsh, but currently you don't have anything yet. Sorry that's the truth of it, your portfolio has nothing to offer a studio.

Layout/composition - needs work
    Materials - needs work
    Modeling - needs work
    Texturing - needs work
    Anatomy - needs work
    Lighting/presentation - needs work

Get back to basics. Make a crate or a barrel or a gas can, just make five or six props that can eventually go into a warehouse type scene. Don't worry about the scene, That will come later. Just pick the props, make em, get feedback on them here on the forums and don't move on to anything else till you get them dialed in and looking like these or better....

door_by_ember2inferno-d5a3xxd.jpg

mailbox_prop_by_magmabolt-d5g26y4.jpg

barrel_o_fun_01.jpg

wrench_by_sickbert-d6m8d88.jpg

old_luggage_by_sickbert-d56lvvs.jpg

town_square_by_36beans-d68v3ql.jpg

Best of luck.
  • Polymiron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PORTFOLIO DECIMATION. I had a feeling that would be the answer :(. I wish I could salvage more of my portfolio though. I was kinda hoping to hit on at least an entry level internship with what I have, but I don't even really have hope for that any more. How long do you guys think that a whole new portfolio will take to build? I've been living at home all summer and my Dad is getting on my ass about getting a job ASAP. As far as if I'm leaning towards games or film, I really don't know. I purposely made my portfolio the way it is because I've kept leaning back and forth and wanted to avoid the question (and would take work in either). I know I will have to decide for myself, but what do you guys think I would have a stronger hand out judging by the portfolio?
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Don't give up man, it's tough out there. I'm outta work too and I've been doing this for 14 years. Only way your going to get on at some place is to have a portfolio that dazzles, or you have a skillset in a particular area they are lacking. Studios are hiring more and more around specialized individuals. You rarely are in a situation where your making characters and doing environment art as well. You need to choose. By the sounds of it, you seem to like the environment stuff better.

How much of the "Golisano interior" was yours? That stuff will get you noticed and hired. 3D is a big world, you could get a job with an architectural firm if you can build stuff to that quality, but the rest of your portfolio did not demonstrate that.

You have to decide, and make a choice and go for it. I'd really consider getting in on the next noob challenge offered here on polycount. You'll learn a ton and it's typically a project easily completed within a few weeks.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Since you are posting here I am assuming you want to work in games. The first thing I would recommend doing is learning proper highpoly to lowpoly techniques. The only game res thing in your portfolio is the skeleton, but its normals are generated by crazy bump which is a major no no. You should be sub-d modeling and/or sculpting a high res model to generate your normal maps from, and only using crazybump/ndo2 for surface details to overlay on your baked normal. There is tons of info on polycount to get you heading in the right direction, good luck.
  • Polymiron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely find the environment creation side of things to be more interesting than characters. I made that interior a few years ago but I remember creating part of the base mesh for that environment, another student did the shading and rendering in Octane, another props and stuff. Bardler, the reason I'm posting on Polycount is because I don't know of the film counterpart to Polycount. Is it CG society? If so, that place seems a lot less welcoming to people who are just starting out. I knew people were going to give me bad news here. I'm not sure why but I feel like they would probably laugh at me there. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep my eye out for that contest. thanks for all the good lucks :)
  • nicko_the_great
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicko_the_great polycounter lvl 9
    I would say scrap all your characters and stick with your environments they seem to be your strong points in the Reel other than than that these guys said it all, take their advice
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Polymiron wrote: »
    I definitely find the environment creation side of things to be more interesting than characters. I made that interior a few years ago but I remember creating part of the base mesh for that environment, another student did the shading and rendering in Octane, another props and stuff. Bardler, the reason I'm posting on Polycount is because I don't know of the film counterpart to Polycount. Is it CG society? If so, that place seems a lot less welcoming to people who are just starting out. I knew people were going to give me bad news here. I'm not sure why but I feel like they would probably laugh at me there. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep my eye out for that contest. thanks for all the good lucks :)

You can still get some valuable feedback from people here if you find the community here better than other forums. A lot of the highpoly techniques game artists use are similar to what you would see in the movie industry. Also the artistic concepts are universal across pretty much every medium, and getting feedback on that is important as well. You will find a lot less technical information about film techniques here though, so you might want to look at another forum for info about that.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    About your question in regards to time frame to get your portfolio up to speed. After I graduated, it took me a solid year before I started to get freelance work to keep me busy, then a year after that (2 years total) till I landed my first studio gig (and I'm still here 3+ years later!).

Anyway, I was probably working on art 12-16 hours a day 7 days a week. I pretty much locked myself to the computer and worked non-stop for 2 years. I suppose I'm not a natural talent, I just worked real hard. I have a feeling you would have to do the same and then some. Its only gotten more challenging to get a job imo.
    I hope this doesn't discourage you. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen!