Home Technical Talk

Maya faces showing as reversed in Marmoset

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TH98 polycounter lvl 12
I have this weird problem that came of flipping meshes in Maya, which I know can get a little thorny. I thought I'd cleaned it all up, but a few of the meshes I mirrored are still causing me problems.

bUlGAek.jpg

As you can see, a couple of these meshes are showing up correctly in Maya (I swear to god backface culling is turned on haha) but as soon as I get them into Marmoset they're inverted.

If I try flipping them inside out in Maya, they show up right-side out in Marmoset, but the lighting is flipped for some reason.

GmkcPW4.jpg

I am at the end of my rope here. Anyone have any idea what's happening? Please help.

Love, Me

Replies

• Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    It happens to me every once in a while. That and holes in my mesh.

Export as .obj and triangulate pre-export.

If one of those doesn't fix it, then both should. At least that's been the case in my experience.

Also, if you haven't or didn't know about it, you can try checking your normal direction

display -> polygon -> Face Normals

As long as the poles are all facing the same direction, you're good.

Something I found out with maya 2014, is that even with backface culling on // single sided polys, if its part of a seamless or mostly seamless mesh, it wont backface cull a poly with a flipped normal any different than its surrounding polys.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you mirrored the geometry in Maya the face normals are probably backwords.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Better way to check in Maya for face normal direction is go to your perspective viewport, under lighting, turn off two sided lighting. Maya will only render which ever way your normals are pointing, and the back faces will be black. If they are black just go to normals>reverse normals.
  • TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    It seems to be fixed now! Tried Grimm_Wrecking's triangulate>OBJ solution and it seemed to isolate the wonky faces. Thanks guys!

tumblr_mtkgmbLAbN1r85bmyo3_1280.jpg