Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Rhea - USC Oculus Rift Game

7f2bzsk.png

WTyVAZd.jpg

Hello,

I (Neilson) will be posting on behalf of the Rhea team so we can get feedback on the environments from Polycount and just in general have a place where we can show our progress on the project.

Rhea is an open world exploration game with Oculus Rift integration, the core mechanic being flight! The world is based mostly on destroyed Greco-Roman architecture and a cavern/rainforest aesthetic. The Rhea team is mainly University of Southern California students and some Gnomon + LCAD artists.

At the moment we have started greyboxing areas and modeling simple assets. I'll post week to week.

Here are some images from the project (all over the place).

Concepts from LCAD artist David Heidhoff

uTHDf0E.jpg

T0ARTyN.jpg

ETttfN3.jpg

Concept from LCAD artist Sam Joo Son

80kxtj1.jpg

Early asset work by me.

OgCJnmA.jpg

Asset by Mike Longley

j2gFyK1.jpg

First main area of the game, the city centre. Most of the posts will be about this area moving forward.

TKBTxLL.jpg

4kfPcH3.jpg

Thanks for reading,
Neilson

Replies

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    looks like a great start, the concepts have so much life!

early blockout is looking pretty good, although a bit bare between the island and the canyon walls (but judging from the concept that's going to get filled in with some nice vegetation).

is your team using unity for this?
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'm interested to see how it turns out! I'm going to guess Unity by the looks of that white default mat, which should be good if you guys are making it functional/programming in some gameplay during a rapid development. I made the mistake of listening to a new CSE student saying he'd be able to figure out how to program everything in the UDK in a month for an old class project. He never even figured out how to compile the base code XD

Are you guys using smoothing groups at all? I just ask because it looks like everything is all triangulated/no smoothing. I recognize it's just an early blockin, but it couldn't hurt to help debug any possible lighting/shading errors with the geometry.
  • Neilson K-S
    @MikeF
    As the title suggests this actually is being built in UDK! The blockout is definitely bare, we still have to add a market area and possible gardens/public forum area :)

@Deathstick
    We were going to use Unity but ended up in UDK, luckily our engineers are doing great work and we have a flying prototype working with the Oculus, I even got to play it today and got a bit dizzy.. Right now the geometry doesn't have lightmaps, collision, or smoothing groups. I'm hoping the lighting glitch has to do with either no lightmaps or no smoothing groups but I will look into this soon! Also I'm importing the mockup assets straight from Blender instead of taking them through Maya, maybe that's it.
  • 4f6f3b
    Offline / Send Message
    4f6f3b polycounter lvl 4
    Open world exploration with Rift, I'm already excited :)
  • Neilson K-S
    @4f6f3b
    Working with the rift has been great, you should be excited!

I did a paintover of the city so I could visualize what needs to get done.

2uUszev.jpg

Also I started on a really simple greybox for the cavernous area of the game.

rImMr4x.jpg

Testing modular cave walls, the lightmap will be hard to get right as there are artifacts around where the assets meet.

LctH2Ry.jpg

Our other artists are still working on their respective scenes and assets, hopefully I can get stuff from them soon to post!

Neilson
  • Neilson K-S
    I completed work on a fully modular pillar and entablature set and have used it to make the outline of the market and another of our artists, Joe Cammorata, has given the first pass on the market stalls.

81KsFlG.jpg

vBxuj2G.jpg

zwhC9dA.jpg

On the ground terrain I am still getting a weird normal glitch, I'm wondering if applying a material will fix this. The current workflow I am using is to set up the smoothing groups in Maya and check the normals are right, triangulate the mesh in Maya, export with smoothing groups and import it into UDK with "explicit normals" checked, anyone else get this problem? Even my other export tests with the mesh in quads and Maya's fbx exporter triangulating it haven't fixed the problem.

IyR5gXe.jpg

Neilson
  • Neilson K-S
    Update on the city hub, lots has changed. Getting accustomed to Lightmass but having some problems getting proper penumbra with dominantdirectionallights.

fJUK02K.jpg

7YGIt9K.jpg
  • Neilson K-S
    Some shots of the city, hasn't changed a whole lot, working on water and updating textures, things that arent really visible. Swamp images coming, critique welcome!

WTyVAZd.jpg

jhfQms4.jpg

DwAxHGT.jpg
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    I like it- shaping up really well :]
  • Neilson K-S
    first semester photo dump, share your thoughts. We're making a trailer this weekend, on little sleep right now but happy to post

DEcT0Mq.jpg

qYc1cH8.jpg

OC0R17O.jpg

v8qY3xh.jpg

UK5DZYP.jpg

MxuxFoK.jpg

mm1eBBi.jpg

BRr9wDv.jpg

aebYQKP.jpg