Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpting a ninja! i need help i am noob

Replies

• jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    sa.png i redid the face and working the outfit it's very difficult lol sorry it takes long for an update
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    asd.pngsdad.pngasdfas.png
    Concepting the hair and outfit just a quick block out making a different type of yukata i made up she will be wearing a skirt and heels ;3
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleReeceHall polycounter lvl 11
    Im pretty concerned with the jumps in quality throughout this thread, im not accusing you of anything, but all ill say is its ok to use other peoples work if its free, just own up to it until you can make your own if you do.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Im pretty concerned with the jumps in quality throughout this thread, im not accusing you of anything, but all ill say is its ok to use other peoples work if its free, just own up to it until you can make your own if you do.

i am learning zbrush so i may not be good in it so? i use maya as my main tool this is for me to see how i will tackle the outfit in maya by making a concept in zbrush.. and you basically are accusing me or more like implying.. which really isn't nice to do i worked really hard on this so i need you to stop k thanks
  • teeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teeth polycounter lvl 7
    I think it's just a matter of you going from showing a very low skill level to suddenly showing a high skill level. Since it's different tools, it's hard to say if someone will be good at zbrush when they're good at maya. Though your jump in understanding seems to be what takes most people years. Particularly when you show little understanding of anatomy in your first post and in this image:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img197/3919/sdwe.JPG
    and then show a great understanding of anatomy and construction. I'm in a similar position where I can't really sculpt very well yet, but even if my shapes are lumpy, I still have anatomy.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    teeth wrote: »
    I think it's just a matter of you going from showing a very low skill level to suddenly showing a high skill level. Since it's different tools, it's hard to say if someone will be good at zbrush when they're good at maya. Though your jump in understanding seems to be what takes most people years. Particularly when you show little understanding of anatomy in your first post and in this image:
    and then show a great understanding of anatomy and construction. I'm in a similar position where I can't really sculpt very well yet, but even if my shapes are lumpy, I still have anatomy.

Ok that post was one of my first ever zbrush creations over months ago..probably even a year by now.. I was introduced to maya first is why i have a better understanding i know how to set up image plans and go to town so it's easier for me but considering zbrush is something completely different and i'm doing all this with a mouse mind you of course my zbrush things will look like crap.. it's just me trying to familarize myself with it is why i force myself to use it...
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4

Plus how can you say anything considering you don't have a thing posted . . . i mean you're blowing smoke honestly.. if you can't be nice to other people that are actually trying and in the same position as you then why comment at all? i came to this forum for critiques and help if you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all k thank you
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    jksl wrote: »
    Plus how can you say anything considering you don't have a thing posted . . . i mean you're blowing smoke honestly.. if you can't be nice to other people that are actually trying and in the same position as you then why comment at all? i came to this forum for critiques and help if you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all k thank you

Your best bet to stop people from assuming you have copied someone else's work or stolen work is to show wires,textured and a progression shot.

It not only helps show people your topology and sculpting skills but also the fact it was you who made it.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Mossbros wrote: »
    Your best bet to stop people from assuming you have copied someone else's work or stolen work is to show wires,textured and a progression shot.

It not only helps show people your topology and sculpting skills but also the fact it was you who made it.

i plan on doing videos instead so i can shove it in their faces :)
  • teeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teeth polycounter lvl 7
    Actually, I was trying to be on your side and explain WHY someone might think you copied, not that you DID. In fact, I defended you! I'm not claiming to be a seasoned pro either. In fact, I'm a student. But it doesn't take a pro to understand human communication. And frankly, I don't really have work that I want to show at this point. I studied fine art and my digital art is pretty weak.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Actually, I was trying to be on your side and explain WHY someone might think you copied, not that you DID. In fact, I defended you! I'm not claiming to be a seasoned pro either. In fact, I'm a student. But it doesn't take a pro to understand human communication. And frankly, I don't really have work that I want to show at this point. I studied fine art and my digital art is pretty weak.
    if you were defending me i apologize my english is not very good..
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    its not your "skill" with maya or zbrush that raises peoples eyebrows, its your eye for anatomy, proportions, detail, planes of the face etc. These would not change based on what software you use.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    its not your "skill" with maya or zbrush that raises peoples eyebrows, its your eye for anatomy, proportions, detail, planes of the face etc. These would not change based on what software you use.

That is true but i was using an actual human for the meshes i made in maya. the one in zbrush i was following an anime character.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    i see people in planes and triangles but there is no actual way to replicate that in zbrush.. is why my forms look like poop everyone is different and has their own niche program they are good at mine is maya and i'm trying to expand to zbrush until i go for proper schooling for it..
  • Statyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Statyk polycounter lvl 6
    I can understand your difference between programs. I'm relatively new to all this and just recently started school. But I'm pretty fluent in Maya at the moment but am absolutely horrible at zbrush... I know how you feel when it comes to that, as it's not a misunderstanding of anatomy, so much as it's a lack of knowledge of tools.

I'd probably end up with the same quality differences myself. Keep at it! Seeing these "beginner" threads amongst all the professional ones are nice because I can follow along and possibly learn things myself. Such as the blocking out technique you guys described.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Im not accusing you of anything but I can tell you its FAR more rewarding to learn and improve than it is to take credit for other peoples work, this I can promise you.

Thats all Im gonna say.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Statyk wrote: »
    I can understand your difference between programs. I'm relatively new to all this and just recently started school. But I'm pretty fluent in Maya at the moment but am absolutely horrible at zbrush... I know how you feel when it comes to that, as it's not a misunderstanding of anatomy, so much as it's a lack of knowledge of tools.

I'd probably end up with the same quality differences myself. Keep at it! Seeing these "beginner" threads amongst all the professional ones are nice because I can follow along and possibly learn things myself. Such as the blocking out technique you guys described.

finally someone gets it i appreciate it
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Eliteabix wrote: »
    Im not accusing you of anything but I can tell you its FAR more rewarding to learn and improve than it is to take credit for other peoples work, this I can promise you.

Thats all Im gonna say.

it's all mine and that's all i'm going to say ^^
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    if polygon modelling is your strong point then I suggest that you block out all your clothing in maya and then refine in zbrush afterwards, the topology that you have on the cloth at the moment is awful compared to the evenly quadded well thought out female base that you are putting it on. Play to your strengths.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    seth. wrote: »
    if polygon modelling is your strong point then I suggest that you block out all your clothing in maya and then refine in zbrush afterwards, the topology that you have on the cloth at the moment is awful compared to the evenly quadded well thought out female base that you are putting it on. Play to your strengths.
    i understand that completely i just wanted to see how i would come about the outfit and the hair so i can reproduce it in maya the zbrush block was more of a concept.:)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    are you not going with the concept on Pg 2 any more then? shame I liked it.
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleReeceHall polycounter lvl 11
    Im obviously not the only one concerned with the fact that quality in the things you show is very different, and yes as someone pointed out it was the anatomy i was talking about, how can you create an anatomically correct, correctly proportioned character like that next to the Zbrush work you have shown. I would like to see videos honestly, if you are taking credit for other peoples work then it makes people like me who create everything themselves slightly annoyed.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    seth. wrote: »
    are you not going with the concept on Pg 2 any more then? shame I liked it.

i am going to attempt that but i would have no clue how to go about that style ;(
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Im obviously not the only one concerned with the fact that quality in the things you show is very different, and yes as someone pointed out it was the anatomy i was talking about, how can you create an anatomically correct, correctly proportioned character like that next to the Zbrush work you have shown. I would like to see videos honestly, if you are taking credit for other peoples work then it makes people like me who create everything themselves slightly annoyed.

well dear you shouldn't assume anything ... there are about a million methods to creating things in zbrush which i have no clue i've only messed with zbrush a total of 10 times.. of course my zbrush work isn't on par with my maya work... plus polygon modeling with a reference is easier cause there is pictures in the background and to the side.. then starting from scratch with a sphere in zbrush sculpting a face in zbrush is difficult.. sculpting a body is hard as well.. i am trying and if you can't see that then there really isn't a place for you here sorry..
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can load background reference in ZBrush as well.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Capture-3.png trying the plane hair.. not to sure if that's how you set it up or not
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Seriously guys... copied or not... time will tell. Back off all the talk and just let the updates roll.

If critiques are not being taken... then quit posting.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Capture-4.png i decided to revist the texture and it came out better...only problem is how to set up a pony tail?
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    adsf.pngsdf-1.png
    i am not to sure if that is how you set up pony tail properly wish my hair was long enough..-3-
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Capture-5.png
    taking a stab at realistic texturing so far so good..
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s0XLuzQHJ0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s0XLuzQHJ0[/ame]
    was following this guys video for the texturing ;3 if anyone is interested
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    lol all the drama that went on in this thread contributed by a couple of the polycount trolls now no one is commenting.... If anyone has critques i am open..
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    CAPTURE2-1.png
    Fixed the textures a bit more here is where i'm at now
  • teeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teeth polycounter lvl 7
    If you are going for a ninja, that is a very pink skin tone. It's pretty over pink for any race, but asian especially is much yellower and browner.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    sdfw.png
    asdfadw.png
    texture update now to work on the outfit
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    wer.png
    i decided to change the hair color to red cause it looks nice :) still working on the outfit
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    yukatasleeves.png today i made faux yukata sleeves and the thing on the sleeve is supposed to hold the sleeve so it doesn't fall off i will be adding spikes on it
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    The texture on your hair looks strange, I don't think you should paint in such a strong highlight as it gives it an obvious tiling effect. Can you show textures/wires of your hair?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have a concept? I don't think you're gonna want to end up with something modeled out that you don't like conceptually in the end, unless you figured out the whole concept first?
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Do you have a concept? I don't think you're gonna want to end up with something modeled out that you don't like conceptually in the end, unless you figured out the whole concept first?

i am going to attempt the anime reference i posted earlier am just having trouble modeling the torso of it :(
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    WadeWT wrote: »
    The texture on your hair looks strange, I don't think you should paint in such a strong highlight as it gives it an obvious tiling effect. Can you show textures/wires of your hair?

yea i was using an old imvu method for the texture :( can't find a good tutorial I can show texture as for wire lol i just put the planes wherever really i don't really have a clue on how to set up plane hair i can do geometry hair but i want to try something different
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Hairtexture.png
    here is the hair texture
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    It looks like you have too many layers, you might want to just have one long strip of hair for each strand instead of lots of smaller ones. I've not really done hair planes either, though, so perhaps someone else has better advice. Also Your hair texture appears to tile horizontally, why not use the extra texture space to give it some variation?
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    WadeWT wrote: »
    It looks like you have too many layers, you might want to just have one long strip of hair for each strand instead of lots of smaller ones. I've not really done hair planes either, though, so perhaps someone else has better advice. Also Your hair texture appears to tile horizontally, why not use the extra texture space to give it some variation?
    Hmmm.. sounds interesting i will give it a shot :D
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    sorry i haven't put an update >< was playing Tera but now that i got a level 60 xD i will start posting updates again ;3
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    photo1.jpg
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/WitchOfDemise/photo2.jpg
    here are the sketches for the outfit still trying to figure out somethings
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I recommend concepting the whole cahracter out so nothing is left to big questions.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    I recommend concepting the whole cahracter out so nothing is left to big questions.

i have drawn the whole character it's just now i had the time to post some pics of what i drew